• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non ethanol gas

MikeCon

Does anyone know about the non ethanol 85 like circle k is supposed to be selling? Have run 87 and it is fine.
1973 302 stock. Manual calls for 91 or 93 but that was 50 years ago. Thinking gas has improved and does not need to be that high of octane.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Extremely regional thing.

You state 85 octane, that is normally only found in higher elevations. So I am guessing your region is somewhere not close to sea level.
Stock '73 302 should be happy on regular low octane fuel.

Octane numbers are a bit confusing. There are two different test methods. Research method and Motor method. They come out different numbers. The current (as in at least the past 30 years) number on the pumps in the united states is (R+M)/2 or simply the average of the two numbers. Currently in Europe it is not the average. (I forget which one, but it is the higher one)

As for the ethonal bit. Generally not an issue in a daily driver, but can cause issues when stored. And Que the people who will go on a rant on how it is the most evil thing the government has ever dove to the American motorist.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Extremely regional thing.

You state 85 octane, that is normally only found in higher elevations. So I am guessing your region is somewhere not close to sea level.
Stock '73 302 should be happy on regular low octane fuel.

Octane numbers are a bit confusing. There are two different test methods. Research method and Motor method. They come out different numbers. The current (as in at least the past 30 years) number on the pumps in the united states is (R+M)/2 or simply the average of the two numbers. Currently in Europe it is not the average. (I forget which one, but it is the higher one)

As for the ethonal bit. Generally not an issue in a daily driver, but can cause issues when stored. And Que the people who will go on a rant on how it is the most evil thing the government has ever dove to the American motorist.

Good info.. I'd wager it's different as well by area / region

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
Does anyone know about the non ethanol 85 like circle k is supposed to be selling? Have run 87 and it is fine.
1973 302 stock. Manual calls for 91 or 93 but that was 50 years ago. Thinking gas has improved and does not need to be that high of octane.
We've got similar rides!

Attachments

• 20200516_171929.jpg
    20200516_171929.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 9

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Haven't run anything lower than 87. You wont find anyone saying that 85 is better than the higher stuff but actually carborated engines are more tolerable to it than the modern EFI motors... As already stated, it is fairly common in higher elevations. It will probably be ok.... Just listen for any "pinging" or "knocking" sounds. As for performance or fuel economy.... Well you wont find any race teams filling up on the stuff... :)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've never had an issue running the 10% ethanol in my Bronco.
We have the non-ethanol available here, and I use it in my chain saws and weed whackers, at the recommendation of the Sthil dealer.
I think the big problem is buying from a gas station that doesn't move much fuel. You could possibly get gas that has been sitting too long, and has absorbed moisture from the air.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
IF you drive your carb'd rig weekly 10% Eth gas is fine. IF you let your rig sit then you could have issues i.e. jelly in your card. I've had to clean out my carb more than once. Now I'm EFI and don't worry about it. With my Samurai I try to drive it weekly even if it's around the block to not have a jelly situation.

Small engines and my Shelby only get pure gas. Shelby get 91 pure and all all others get 87 pure. My 4 wheeler sits from one deer season to the next. No issues at all. Always fires right up. My buddies all seem to have issues but the one I've converted to pure gas are just like me. Fires up and goes.....

Also, humidity plays a HUGE roll in the issues with Eth gas.......

Tim

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Think there is some confusion here... The OP is asking about non-Ethanol 85 octane, not E85.