• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non OEM Skid plate for OEM fuel tank

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
After 12 years of wheeling on the rocks I finally punched a hole in the stock rear tank of my 73.

I’d like to replace it with another factory tank but the factory skid plate will absolutely not suffice since it offers zero protection on the flat bottom surface.

Is anyone running a skid plate that they’ve purchased, fabbed or modified to run with the stock rear tank?

Had considered buying and modifying a BC bronco skid plate for their 23 gal unit but looks like they stopped making them.

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My factory skid plate protected the bottom and a little bit of the rise in the back. Both the transfer case and the fuel tank skid plates did a pretty good job over the years.
Are they too short now and only doing the backside?
I guess I better go back and look at the picture.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I got one from a vendor on here, I believe it was Toms. https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-76...B8w3RuxFsxH6nTDRp6gJ5y6w565X_2FkaAsGFEALw_wcB
I fit great and is heavy duty. Bolted right up using hdwr all ready there or frame holes all ready there. But it was a little short as far as frontal tank protection. I decided to "yield" in that area.

I possibly bought the wrong one (to short) and that is how it ended up being to short to go clear to the front of the tank. But I managed to get it all covered. I do not think I could find one on the WH site. Sorry Paul.

Attachments

• skid 1.jpg
    skid 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 27
  • skid.jpg
    skid.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 29
  • skid 4.jpg
    skid 4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 27
  • skid 3.jpg
    skid 3.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 28
  • skid 2.jpg
    skid 2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Appreciate the responses. The one in the link from Toms is identical to the OEM and unfortunately offers zero protection on the bottom.

Paul, I think you’ll see once you check yours that it only covers the angled part of the tank on the “back”. The bottom is totally exposed and in may case has done some dragging and dropping onto rocks. The tank honestly held up outstanding for what it was put through but I’d like to step up to a better gas tank skid plate and bumper before OCBR