• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205 installed quick question on upper mount

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
Installed my 205 this last weekend and have my cross member built. On the drivers side of the transfer case there is a mount up towards the top of the frame. I was going to install a piece of angle on it. Do you think that it can be hardmounted or is it going to need a bushing of some kind. It basically is going to keep the tcase from rubbing the frame since it is only about 3/8" away.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
You could hard mount it, but you will get a lot of vibration from the t-case into your frame, up through the body and through your teeth. ;D I would suggest putting a bushing of some kind. Here's are some pic's of what I fabbed up. My t-case is clocked up a few inches so mine is probably at a angle more than yours, but you get the idea. ;)

Attachments

• 100_0328.JPG
    100_0328.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0329.JPG
    100_0329.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_0330.JPG
    100_0330.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 61

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I hard mounted mine and then changed it after talking to Crawln68. He sent me this same picture. I have a post in here somewhere that shows it both ways, before and after.

bax

OP
OP
mountainview68

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
Yours is mounted quite a bit higher, and The body is on so welding up in there is not going to be to easy. I thought about setting the bracket directly onto the frame, and putting a piece of 3/8" rubber/neoprene strip between the t case and the bracket.

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
crawln68,

Very nice mounting job!! Do you have to run a body lift to fit it in like that, or is there clearance enough to run a stock setup?

Thanks,

DD

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
That would work fine. I run a 205 and have never used the side mount. I drilled out the 1/2" bolt holes of the 205 cross brace to 9/16" so I could use the round Poly style bushings used on the D20. They're very strong and work well if you add a large washer to the top cause only half the mount is resting on the bushings. I've thrashed thru some nasty stuff and have never seen the shifters move around. The side mount on mine is in the middle of the frame so there is no access until its pulled again. I wanted the t-case lower due to the driveline angles when the suspension cycled. Its probably best to have the side mount due to all the t-case weight carried on the driverside.

This photo shows what I did.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
DebosDave'72 said:
crawln68,

Very nice mounting job!! Do you have to run a body lift to fit it in like that, or is there clearance enough to run a stock setup?

Thanks,

DD

Thanks. Yeah I have a 2 inch body lift. You would be fine without a body lift as long as you don't clock the t-case up like I did. 68 Broncoholic brings up a good point about driveline angles if you do clock your t-case up. I went with the 42 degree 1410 drivelines from High Angle Driveline so I no bind in my u-joints when fully flexed. So that is another expense to work into your budget if you do decide to clock it up. I love it because now I have nothing hanging down below my frame rails.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used the 'angle' solution on mine. I welded a doubler plate on top of the frame and tapped it for a 1/2" bolt. I used tow urethane body mounts that wre lying around - one between the angle and the frame and one between the bolt/washer and the angle, to sandwich the piece of angle that is just bolter on the T-Case. I safety-wired that bolt since it is not retained by being real tight.