• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 grinding in first. I FIXED IT!

Scrapper_MV

I put my trans in first gear for the first time since I had it out to fix a leak. It goes into gear and drives but makes a grinding noise like two gears are hitting. What's going on?

The answer to this problem was found at Pirate4X4.

It turns out that the four bolts that hold the adapter to the back of the trans are different lengths. And if you put the long one in the bottom left hole it hits first gear!

I am very happy that I don't have to rebuild the trans!;D

Last edited by a moderator:

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
If you had the top off of it, you could have one of the gears out of the shifting forks....don't ask me how I know:-[ ....I purchased a tranny from a guy who said he had inspected everything and it was all good, then I trusted him and put it into my rig only to find out it was locked up tight because he left a gear out of a shifting fork when putting the top back on:mad:. My fault for not doing my own inspection...live and learn.:p

OP
OP
S

Scrapper_MV

If you had the top off of it, you could have one of the gears out of the shifting forks....don't ask me how I know:-[ ....I purchased a tranny from a guy who said he had inspected everything and it was all good, then I trusted him and put it into my rig only to find out it was locked up tight because he left a gear out of a shifting fork when putting the top back on:mad:. My fault for not doing my own inspection...live and learn.:p

I did not have the top off of it but I did pull on the output shaft to get it out and the whole shaft and bearing came out about an inch. Then it slid right back in though. Could I have screwed something up when that happened?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Damn good thing for these forums huh... Good Luck w/the brakes