• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 - Reverse Light Plug

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I need the pig tail plug that plugs into Reverse/Neutral Safety switch on the side of the NV3550 Transmission. I tried to contact NV and they directed me to another company as NV is defunct and that was a dead end. I then went to Jeep and that is a dead end. I know that I can just wire just directly to the prongs, but that just isn't right.

Thanks,

Chris B.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I need the pig tail plug that plugs into Reverse/Neutral Safety switch on the side of the NV3550 Transmission. I tried to contact NV and they directed me to another company as NV is defunct and that was a dead end. I then went to Jeep and that is a dead end. I know that I can just wire just directly to the prongs, but that just isn't right.

Thanks,

Chris B.

I have seen at least two types, if you have the one with two prongs you could wire it directly. I thought that I saw in one of the old threads that you could find the plug on the fix-it-display (HELP products).

"The plug for the switch on the transmission uses a two-prong arrangement the mate for which can be found in the electrical section on the shelf at a Pep Boys and spliced right on the existing back-up light wiring." (from the write in the Tech section)

Doug

Last edited:

brtxbronco

Contributor
the connector is called a weather pack terminal, info can be found at Happy Terminals.com. I found mine at a local auto parts store

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I am looking for the actual male plug that plugs into the transmission. As I stated, I could just wire it with connectors, but that wouldn't look as good and would allow water to short out the connection. I could fill it with silicone once I wire it, but again that is just a half assed way of doing it. It sounds like an auto-parts store may have it. I checked Napa and Discount Auto Parts and they didn't have anything. I will make a drawing of it and take some measurements and keep trying. I don't think we have a PEP Boys around, but I will check.

Thanks,

Chris B.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I am looking for the actual male plug that plugs into the transmission. As I stated, I could just wire it with connectors, but that wouldn't look as good and would allow water to short out the connection. I could fill it with silicone once I wire it, but again that is just a half assed way of doing it. It sounds like an auto-parts store may have it. I checked Napa and Discount Auto Parts and they didn't have anything. I will make a drawing of it and take some measurements and keep trying. I don't think we have a PEP Boys around, but I will check.

Thanks,

Chris B.

My plug has the name "Pollack" on the flat side. They do make alot of automotive connectors.

Doug

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
With everyones help, I may have narrowed it down. I believe the transmission switch is made by "Pollak". Thanks Doug.

I believe the connector that I need is a (Delphi Packard Weather Pack, Tower Half 2 Conductor Part Number 12015792). I am not 100%, but I will examine the NV3550 tonight and make sure.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Chris B.

I just wish the trans had come with it in the first place.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Yep, that's it I think. I don't need the female part as the switch in the transmission is the female. There is a store on E-bay that sells just the male for $.60. The pins and wire are extra of course, but I should be able to put a complete plug with wire leads together for less than $5.00 plus shipping.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I am just now getting around to making up this plug. Does anyone know what gauge wire I should make this up with? I am guessing either 14/16 or 18/20, but I would rather not order both just to use one.

Thanks in advance.

Chris B.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I am just now getting around to making up this plug. Does anyone know what gauge wire I should make this up with? I am guessing either 14/16 or 18/20, but I would rather not order both just to use one.

Thanks in advance.

Chris B.

Depends on what you will be powering with the switch....
If you are using it to trigger a relay then the smaller gauge is fine.
If you are powering the lights directly though the switch then heavier (14/16) is better.

There is probably a maximum amperage rating on the switch so If you are powering more than just a pair of 1156's (like my bumper backup 55 watters...) then I'd use a relay.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I was just planning on wiring it like a stock set up to run the neutral safety (I assume this is used for the neautral safety as this is the only plug coming off the transmission) and the reverse lights. I have a new Centek wiring harness that I will be installing (This is a frame off project). I was trying to avoid pulling the wiring harness out and looking at it until I am ready. Does anyone know if this switch can be wired to to the reverse lights & the neutral safety?

Thanks,

Chris B.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
If its a 4 wire plug like on a C4, then I'm guessing 2 wires are common in neutral and the other 2 are common in reverse.
Take your Ohmmeter and check continuity of the pins in revers and nuetral.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
This is a 2 pin plug. I believe it would have to be able to power both the reverse lights and neutral safety? This is a modern manual trans that was used in the Jeep Wrangler and the Liberty. There is only the one female two prong plug on the trans. How would have jeep powered both with just the two prongs? I am assuming each pin would ground in its perspective position. One pin grounds in neutral and the other in reverse?

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
If you are close to a Pep Boys store, go to the electrical "help" isle and get Motormite part # 85390 . It's the correct plug for the NV3550 back-up light.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Scotts77,

Does this switch control both the reverse lights and the neutral safety? What gauge wire should I use?