• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nwmp tank

widowmaker77

Contributor
I have old nwmp tank that I got in a trade several years back. I’m wanting to use it and I have a explorer efi setup I’m running also.
Is anyone running this tank and if so, what fuel pump and fuel line setup are you running for this type of setup? I’d like to run a in tank setup I

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet a lot of them are out there with EFI, so you should get some good answers soon I would think. They were one of the more popular models for many years, and so also went through the generations of fuel pump types.

Probably a lot of them are out there still running an external pump, but I'm sure some were modified for use with an in-tank pump too, before they became available from NWMP (now Sunset Metal Fab) directly.

I don't remember anyone showing a setup with a retrofitted Explorer pump module though. I wonder if anyone has done it.

Which Explorer setup will you be working with? Full Explorer with later PWM computer controlled pump? Or an earlier, or even non-Explorer EFI setup with a return line?

paul

1buckeyefan1

i modified my NWMP to use a Tanks Inc PA-2 that I modified with a 2001 External regulator. Haven't gotten it all put back together yet, but am going to give it a shot.

I basically cut a hole in the front center of my NWMP.. then used the Tanks Inc PA-2 chassis and adopted the regulator from an Explorer pump. 2001 Explorer is a returnless system, so I plugged the return line on the PA-2.

For fuel lines, I'm using the BC Broncos hard line kit w/ flex line A/N adapters at both ends.

Attachments

• fuel tank 2.jpg
    fuel tank 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 68
  • tanks inc pa-2.jpg
    tanks inc pa-2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 65
  • fuel lines.jpg
    fuel lines.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
I bet a lot of them are out there with EFI, so you should get some good answers soon I would think. They were one of the more popular models for many years, and so also went through the generations of fuel pump types.

Probably a lot of them are out there still running an external pump, but I'm sure some were modified for use with an in-tank pump too, before they became available from NWMP (now Sunset Metal Fab) directly.

I don't remember anyone showing a setup with a retrofitted Explorer pump module though. I wonder if anyone has done it.

Which Explorer setup will you be working with? Full Explorer with later PWM computer controlled pump? Or an earlier, or even non-Explorer EFI setup with a return line?

paul

Thanks Paul! The explorer efi setup I have is from a 99 model. I’m not sure about the computer controlling the fuel pump I will have to research and see how all this works.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
i modified my NWMP to use a Tanks Inc PA-2 that I modified with a 2001 External regulator. Haven't gotten it all put back together yet, but am going to give it a shot.

I basically cut a hole in the front center of my NWMP.. then used the Tanks Inc PA-2 chassis and adopted the regulator from an Explorer pump. 2001 Explorer is a returnless system, so I plugged the return line on the PA-2.

For fuel lines, I'm using the BC Broncos hard line kit w/ flex line A/N adapters at both ends.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look into this type of setup

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!

paul

Paul-

I have retrofitted my NWMP tank 4 times for different frame configurations but also did it once for fitting an EXPLODER style fuel pump in it.

All the work is documented on my 4 link, ORI build thread (that also has a dozen other mods written up on it).

Worked out great. Seals perfect. This was the one that I setup the 4 individual pickup tubes on that someone asked me how I did it and also asked if it would be OK if they did a writeup on how to do it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. I remember the 4-pickup setup. Good reading that!
But I had not remembered that you'd used an Explorer setup. Glad to know it.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
It cost me 5 bucks. :) Not many options for pump pickups back then and I"m cheap. lol Hence the reason for 4 pickups and not Hydramat.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Explorer setup for hanging the pump but a 255ml/hr pump adapted and lines resized to feed my 460. It's actuallyba frameounted Walbro pump and after talking with 2 engineers at Walbro rhey gave me the ok tonise it instead of the typical in tank pump.

Allows the use of the threaded pos & neg terminals.

According to all the charts I am just on the edge for flow for my engines needs and I have not noticed the wide band or while data logging any issues after almost 2 minutes at 5800 rpm under max load. Seems to be working fine.