• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OEM battery size question

slim811

I priced a few places for a battery. Nothing special wanted a high cool cranking amp. I've been told my 1971 302 takes a 26, 26R, 35, 35R and 36R series. Which is the best fit? Thank you,Slim. Oh! If I want to go with the Optima battery which one of those do I want? Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I priced a few places for a battery. Nothing special wanted a high cool cranking amp. I've been told my 1971 302 takes a 26, 26R, 35, 35R and 36R series. Which is the best fit? Thank you,Slim. Oh! If I want to go with the Optima battery which one of those do I want? Thanks again.

Here is a chart... http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

Most common battery in a Bronco is a Group 24F

Option battery is a Group 27F , which is longer and should fit in a Bronco tray.

Having said that, I am sure there are many batteries today that will fit in the tray and will not be too tall. But back in the date those were the options.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Just get an Interstate, I run dual batteries, walked in told them what I wanted, set me up with each one having the posts opposite to help make the connections fit better. I measured the battery to make sure it fit the stock trays. :cool:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Just get an Interstate, I run dual batteries, walked in told them what I wanted, set me up with each one having the posts opposite to help make the connections fit better. I measured the battery to make sure it fit the stock trays. :cool:

Last Interstate I bought was from NAPA, but when I was in Idaho this summer I saw that they had an Interstate store. ;D

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I use a group 24. Same size as the 24f but the negative post is next to the fender.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Just stay away from this one... :D

Attachments

• BigAssBattery.jpg
    BigAssBattery.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 136

pbwcr

Been running a group 27. Fits but the plus is to close to the fender for comfort. A 27F would be good, but that means a do over on the cables.
PaulW

rguest3

Bronco Guru
I use a 34/78 with both Top Posts and Side Posts for Winch and accessories.

OP
OP
S

slim811

I use a 34/78 with both Top Posts and Side Posts for Winch and accessories.

Will I need a different hold down bracket if I went with the Optima you have? Thank you Slim.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The vendors sell a generic diamond plate battery tray that you can run typical j-bolts on a top plate, but they also have incredible aluminum ones made to fit an Optima perfectly. I have ran the former but made my own diamond plate trays. I totally copied WH's design, haha.
Been running two Optimas (one on each side) for about 10 years. All good.
The point is you can get an Optima locked down on an OEM tray or the vendors options.