• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

off-road carb vs EFI

NYLES

Bronco Guru
My Speed Demon GOTTA GO! .........EFI ASAP! parts on order!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have a 470 TA Holley on my built 289 and it is awsome offroad. Much better than the stock 650 holley that was on it before. Got it used off this sight and it has been great!

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Since you live in CO and will be using it at higher elevations, far and away your best choice will be EFI. Don't mess around and do it half way. Use one tank with an in-tank pump. Don't waste your time and money on accumualtors, muti tank switches, two pumps and all that other complicated junk. It just doesn't work at this altitude with the oxiginated fuel that we are forced to use. Talk to those of us here that have had EFI for a while on daily driven rigs.I tried all that stuff when I first converted to EFI, in an effort to save some money, but it basically caused me to spend more to get it right. I have all that junk still, if you really want to try it. You could probably use your stock rear tank and tee into the vent line for a return, if you use a really good HP in-pump mounted close to the tank. But again, do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again. I now run 2 tanks, but I use the dash tank switch to trigger a relay for a cheap electric pump to transfer from the front to the rear.

As far as your Edelbrock carb, I ran a Carter AFB, before I went EFI about 4 years ago. It worked best offroad when I did the following things to it, 1/2" phenolic spacer to isolate it from the direct manifold heat, off-road needle and seat, float level just a hair below spec, proper jetting, and a fuel pressure regulator. I used to turn my fuel pressure regulator down from 6 to 1 1/2 to 2 when I turned in my hubs. It then ran about as good offroad as the stock 2 bl..

There's nothing like that horrible feeling when you are in a precarious situation and the carb starts acting up or the engine dies. Spring Creek Trail gave me religion about having EFI a while back.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I have used all three. The Edelbrock or AFB is fine except for altitude. I ran them without any off road jets. They will boil quickly. I am using Qjets now with no problems.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Nyles any huge reasons, beyond drive-ability?

triyi9ng to persuade my Bro to move to it sooner than he plans ;D

Rock crawlin nose up and down not to bad...start bumpin rocks(get it rockin side to side)...get ready its gonna die...right when you dont need it to! And this is with it almost starving the motor for fuel.

Now on flat land couldnt ask for better!

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
cool

Rock crawlin nose up and down not to bad...start bumpin rocks(get it rockin side to side)...get ready its gonna die...right when you dont need it to! And this is with it almost starving the motor for fuel.

Now on flat land couldnt ask for better!

Thanks, we are mainly doing desert here in SoCAL, baja has some little rocks, I will try to exaggerate ;D

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Alright - thanks boys... If I stay with carb for awhile it sounds like the BC Q-jet is the one to run. Will have to weigh that against the estimate for EFI cause that surely is the holy grail.

I pulled a Qjet from a junkyard donor for $8, sprayed some carb cleaner on it, bolted it up to a $25 adapter & run the piss outta it! Maybe I was lucky w/ the carb being so clean but I didnt rebuild it or mess w/ anything & it runs perfect from sealevel to wheeling off camber at over 8K foot elevation. I'll follow this by saying I'm going efi soon but the qjet has run very well & not let me down in very precarious situations.