• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil leak -flywheel bolts, rear main or oil pan??

Kodyak

Is there anyway to narrow down the three when you're staring at the back of the crank or do you dive in and replace?

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I would get under there and check your oil pan bolts. Don't crank on them or you'll just screw up the gasket. Just make sure they are all snug. Then spray everything down with brake cleaner and get it as clean as possible. Wipe up every bit of oil you can. Then start it and let it run for a couple minutes. Don't drive it because wind tends to blow the oil around and its hard to tell where it came from. Just let it run while parked. Then get under there with a flash light. If its a pan leak then you should be able to see it. If its a rear main it will be harder to tell but it will likely run down the engine side of the flywheel or flex plate.

OP
OP
K

Kodyak

I've got it torn down to the back of the block - replacing the clutch assembly, resurfacing disk, etc. The clutch plate was fouled because of an oil build up over time. Steadily got worse - lots of clutch chatter. Flywheel bolts don't appear to have any thread seal residue, but there's plenty of suspect oil coming from that area. Sealing threads is a lot easier than pulling the pan and the rear main but with the whole drivetrain out I need to make a decision on where to stop and when to reassemble. Thoughts?

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Oh well then definitely replace every seal and gasket you can get to. Youre going to want to get your flywheel resurfaced anyway. While you have it out, replace the rear main seal and install a one piece reusable oil pan gasket. They are made of rubber instead of cork and they have metal inserts in the bolt holes so you cant over tighten the pan bolts. And of course use some thread sealant on the flywheel bolts.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I'd do it all. Thread sealer, 15 minutes max. Use a wood screw or two to pull the rear main out if it's a one piece. Gently use a dead blow to put new one in, dry. If it's a two piece, you have to pull the pan anyways, time for pan gasket then.