• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pan dipstick leak modification

DeepC73

Hello,
Like many of you, my 73 Bronco has been leaking oil everywhere from around the dipstick. I scoured the forums looking for ideas and solutions. Originally I was going to take it apart and try a different solution. However, after disassembly I came up with another idea. I used a 7/16 tap and dye to thread the original push in tube on the oil pan. The 7/16 fits the outer sleeve of the original dipstick tube perfectly. After replacing the gasket and replacing the rivets with bolts I came up with this configuration. I am reassembling tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0v9deHbaGkMM_WLzk27nV4ITg

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
No leak

I modified mine and it works great no leaks drill and tap cast iron made new gasket and thread sealant on bolts

Attachments

• 2D1B4840-750F-48E5-945A-87CE7B54EAD0.jpg
    2D1B4840-750F-48E5-945A-87CE7B54EAD0.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
DeepC73

DeepC73

Did you use rev on the gasket? Did you gasket both sides? Just wondering. I ended up putting a gasket on both sides. I think it was overkill, but really tired of it leaking.

OP
OP
DeepC73

DeepC73

Well, I didn’t think this through completely. Due to the curve in the dipstick tube, it won’t screw in once in place because it hits the fender well. DAMNIT! Lol