• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ok found what could be a deal on 351 w

crtilghman

i think my 298 is dead i pulled pan and some bearing caps pitted and wore out:cry:i was on craigslist and about 10 miles from my house a guy had a complete 351 w for sale for $350.00 i went by and it had a new holley 500 and it looked like a clean 351w the casting date was a 79 motor with all the brackets power steering stuff and chrome valve covers he said the guy he bought it from had just rebuilt it but he didn't know anything about it.i asked if i could pull a cover he said ok it looked good but had 2 bent push rods but looked clean and the parts do look new .i got it for $100.00 and got it home and tore into it and it looks like it hasn't been run at all but does have the 2 bent push rods .no ring grove in top of cylinders but pistons are marked .060.it turns pretty easy and it has a 4x4 oil pan on it head gaskets dont even look like it was even broke in yet. my question is how far should i take it down?and is there anything i need ti check?thanks you guys are allways a big help;D

OP
OP
crtilghman

crtilghman

o i forgot it has a new clutch pressure plate and flywheel the ink on the clutch name brand mark is still on it:p

Broncoloupy

Loc.
Parkton MD
Did you find out why the PRs bent? Did you see any evidence of PTV contact on that cylinder? I am assuming they are on the same cylinder.... $100 I think you cant go wrong. The core is worth that.;D

Pull the main caps and check the bearings. Check a few rods as well. If all looks good start puttin it back together. After you figure out why the PRs bent....

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I would at least pick up some plastigauge and check your clearances.

OP
OP
crtilghman

crtilghman

everything looks good but the cam i need to id i cant find where to look all the bearings look new cam has 644-38-01 on it and GWC does anyone have any ideas?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
it's already been bored 60 over. bent push rods and a bad cam? Well you got a good carb , brackets and a new clutch. You did OK. Find another engine.

OP
OP
crtilghman

crtilghman

push rod s are like $ 2 dollars i found why they were bent someone put 2 wrong length rods cams not bad in it .060 aint that bad i can still see where it was machined and pistons look freakin new

Broncoloupy

Loc.
Parkton MD
Put that $hit back together and run it.... for $100. Now $200 in fluids/gaskets. Get it done. If it was an auto ,I would worry about the cam. With a stick, just run it. That is, unless you want to put a cam in it. I never was one to talk people out of HP;)

OP
OP
crtilghman

crtilghman

i dont know if i just want to put it back together or ?maybe build a freakin monster out of it lol gaskets are only like 75 and it has everything else

OP
OP
crtilghman

crtilghman

351_4.JPG

3513.JPG

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I think you were taken. As a true Bronco Brother, I'll buy it from you for $100 to ease your pain, just let this be a lesson for you.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
If by monster you mean you're going to stroke it something don't waste your time. Doing that with a block that's .060 over can end in disaster. I agree with Bax, you got a few good parts in the deal but that's about it. Either run it as is with some new pushrods (if everything else checks out) or find yourself another block.

OP
OP
crtilghman

crtilghman

i think i am going to gasket it and run the hell out of it and just build me a stroker;)

OP
OP
crtilghman

crtilghman

i found out why it bent push rods it had 5 lifters that were locked up solid in a vice i couldn't get them to go down ,i bought a gasket kit and new lifters and some push rods and i am going to put it together this weekend and build a stand to ground hop it before i pull my engine out well thats the plan

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
i found out why it bent push rods it had 5 lifters that were locked up solid in a vice i couldn't get them to go down ,i bought a gasket kit and new lifters and some push rods and i am going to put it together this weekend and build a stand to ground hop it before i pull my engine out well thats the plan

were the lifters cupped at all, even then just replacing the lifters will take out your cam lobes before long

OP
OP
crtilghman

crtilghman

Well I was a army scout for years and ground hopped everything from jeep to m1abrams engines guess it shows every now and then my red neck army ways