• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Old Broncos are Like Relationships

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

My wife has had her moments with our Broncos. Our '71 has been to Moab 3 times. It doesn't have a very good track record in her opinion when it comes to not breaking down at the wrong times.

I don't always give her enough credit for her insight.

On our way south out of Moab on the way to registration for Bronco Safari this year I stopped along 191 to see if the alternator had started working. No such luck. By that time the main battery was completely discharged and the Bronco wouldn't start. So, I set out to switch the main and auxiliary batteries. Rhonda patiently waited in the Bronco.

By the time I had the batteries switched and was reconnecting the cables, another Bronco owner drove up. His name was Jim, and he is a Moab local. (I'm sorry that I don't remember his last name.) And from what I have learned since, he does a lot to help the local Bronco guys. He said he probably wouldn't be much help with the electrical situation; but, he was there giving moral support. Just for the heck of it I checked to see if the alternator was charging the batteries... it must have been Jim's support that willed the system to begin charging because other than swapping the batteries, I didn't make any other changes.

(Now for the relationship comment.)

Jim drove away and I got back into the driver's seat. As we started down the highway I could tell that Rhonda wasn't completely overjoyed by our little stop on the side of the highway. She said something pretty close to the following as we drove along...

"Broncos are like relationships. Sometimes you just need to let them go."

I think there was more to it than that, although that was what I got out of it. I argued that relationships, and Broncos, are worth the time and effort to make them right. I don't think I made a strong enough argument. I hope she wasn't trying to tell me something about the Bronco... and our relationship.

Good news is that the Bronco is back home and Rhonda's looking forward to another trip to Moab.

I wonder if it will get a little easier next time.

Jeff

RT

Bronco Guru
that's Moab Jim right there , one of the nicest guys you'll meet . I've had the pleasure of wheeling with him many times and to his place once.

If you need a part he may have one , or will do his best to help you get one

glad to hear the relationships have stabilized ;)