• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Old member /First time on the Mojave road.

BanditBronco

We didn't have any issues getting Foxes from Lee at Raceshocks in the past few years so I am sure what you are looking for should be available as well. My vote is always for a little bling, just tell him you want the Todd/Lars valving and don't try and talk him into getting crazy and switching things up, then boom you will be happy guaranteed.

With how many people are switching to fancy bolt in efi tanks with drop in pumps, I would try and find a good ole 23 gallon tank and just do a quick swap.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I've had Rancho 9000's, Bilstein 5100s and 7100s and now custom valved Fox reservoir shocks, the latter two sets from Lee as Todd mentioned, on the front of my Bronco. In back, I went straight to Bilstein 7100s, also from Lee, and tried a couple of valvings before I felt like I got it right. I don't remember what I had when I did the Mojave Road with Todd and Thom, but I'm guessing that by then I'd evolved to the Fox Shox up front considering how fast I recall going through the whoops.

I tend to drive fairly fast off road. The Ranchos weren't up to the task, especially when it was rough. Within a few miles the front suspension danced like a pogo stick, and water sprayed on them sizzled away. The 5100s were better, but they would fade too, and they were under damped.

I ordered the 7100s in 12" stroke with 360/80 valving, the maximum off the shelf available. Eventually I realized that was still under damped for my heavy Bronco and driving style. Lee advised against heavier valving in the 7100 because there was risk with the 12" stroke 14mm (.55") diameter shock rod buckling. He was the one who talked me into the Fox reservoir shocks I have now, 2" diameter body (2.5" wasn't available then or I'd probably have gone that way for the extra oil volume) and 7/8" diameter rod, with his valving.

In the back I kept the 7100s, going from 255/70 to 275/78 valving, which I changed myself.

One of the things I like about both my Fox and Bilstein shocks is that I can rebuild them myself, which I have done several times. Seal kits are readily available.

Shocks at all four corners are on brackets I made myself. Rears have held up just fine. Fronts have.. ahem.. had issues, but Front Mount Design 2.0 seems to be holding up...

As for the Mojave Road, Todd, Thom, AKA ntsqd (who organized that outing, thanks Thom!) we had a blast. The wannabe off road racer crowd hadn't discovered it yet in 2008. I want to say we spent 3 nights on the trail, which made for a nice pace with plenty of time to stop and take in the sights. I would do it again, but probably during the week when the asshat factor was lower.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the old fort is off a side road running south from the main trail. all rock foundations Poor guys that had to stay there. there are the lava tubes north of the Mojave road and the little school house to the south in Goffs. Most people just stay on the trail mainly because of gas issues. there is alot more going on out there than most people think. Our club was an eclectic bunch of 4 wheelers a little bit of everything even a stock geo metro, we brought them all through with hardly an issue. we strapped one stock open open jeep through a soft spot. it was the only assist we had on that trail. get the guide book worth every penny. it narrates the trail as you go alone if you co driver can read while the truck is moving. Carry extra fuel filters and a couple of u-joints we have replaced a few of those while traveling this trail. make sure you take care of this stuff before you go. stirring up a gas take for 2 days and 100 miles can stir up a lot of stuff that was sitting peacefully at the bottom of the gas tank for the last decade. we usually had a potluck for dinner just after the whoops before we bed down for the night. we usually ran 8-10 cars. make sure you check the friends of the Mojave trail and don't run the weekend they do. they use to run with a large tour group twice a year back in the day. unless you like traffic.