• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One more Header Question

toque

Loc.
Surrey, BC
I've read the other post on headers recommendation, but the part numbers listed are long tube headers. Is anyone running Hedman shorty headers for a 5.0 EFI (i.e. O2 sensors) and if so what part number are these. Or even if you're running shorty Hedmans on a 302, what part number are you using? I phoned Hedman directly and they weren't too helpful, they just kept repeating the applications listed in their catalogue.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
similar question, is it possible to run long tube headers with efi, will the O2 sensors heat up enough?

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Yes you can run long tubes w/ EFI.. there are different O2 sensors made for being further away from the cyl heads.... there is something about that in the FordFuelInjection.com harness install guide... here is a excerpt:

Step 7a:
"Use a small amount of anti-seize on the threads when installing Oxygen Sensors. Use SG23 Oxygen sensors with short headers. Use SG40 Oxygen sensors with long tube headers"

That is what I have installed (headman long tubes w/SG40's) and my exhaust smells right (doesnt seem rich or lean) and I dont throw any O2 codes.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i don't think you can run 5.0 headers on a bronco because they dump down by the starter. bronco headers run over the bellhousing over the starter. there is no room between the starter and the frame.

OP
OP
toque

toque

Loc.
Surrey, BC
Wild Horses sell a shorty header that they claim fit the Bronco with 5.0 engine and don't have starter interference. They are rather $$ so I was looking at Hedman shorties and wondering if there is a model of those that fit the EB with 5.0.

OP
OP
toque

toque

Loc.
Surrey, BC
Heck isn't anyone running shorty headers of any make on their Bronco 302 or 5.0?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D There is one but he rebuilt the header on the pass. side to fit and clear. Go long tub and just bolt it on. The best performance is with equal length tubs good luck and have fun.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
toque

toque

Loc.
Surrey, BC
I talked to Hedman and they said their long tube header p/n 89418 won't fit with an AOD transmission (only with a C4). So it looks like I have to go shorty.

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
I have the Wild Horses shortys. They may be a little more expensive, but they are made by JBA and are really good quality. Install is a cinch and you can get them with O2 bungs. I have the nickel plated ones, they still look almost new after 3 years.

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
I also have the Wildhorses shorties (ceramic) with mine. Its not a 5.0 per say (73 block, 87 intakes, and 93 the rest). I had the O2s installed in the exhaust about 2-3 inches back from the header collectors. These fit just fine. It close on the pass side, but Ive had no problems in 2 years. BTW I also have an AOD in mine. Just need to trim a little square chunk of aluminum off of the bell housing.

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
Ford Motorsport ceramic headers (shorties) on a 5.0 motor. Photo is passenger side, tight fit but exhaust fit with no modifications.

Attachments

• im000437.jpg
    im000437.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 125

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
another thing you may check is a set of headers for a classic mustang. they went over the bellhousing like a classic bronco. i think they make a set of shorties for them.

expobronc

73stallion said:
another thing you may check is a set of headers for a classic mustang. they went over the bellhousing like a classic bronco. i think they make a set of shorties for them.

I have a set of 67 289 shorteis on my 76 bronc with a 351W. Drivers side is great, however may not work with stock z-bar, I dunno. The passenger side is almost right on top of the frame, but thanks to body lift i should have room to run pipe, I'll let you know when i get there. Oh and also the passenger inner fender required a little gentle persuasion.

I should check the headers on my 67 stang 351, they seemed to hug the block a little better.