• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opting for Dana 60s

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm just learning, so I figured this might be helpful for some...

I've been collecting parts for my D60 builds for quite sometime. So far I've accumulated the following:

FRONT:

HP D60
BOM 610313-2
1988 1/2 - 1991 1/5 F-350 Monobeam SRW
WMS to WMS = ~69.25"
Has 35-spline inner & 30-spline outer axles.

24610740365_large.jpg

REAR:

FF D60
BOM 603381-5
1973/74 F-250 3/4 Ton HD 4x2 Pick-up
WMS to WMS = ~66.50"
Has 16-spline axles! I have a 35-spline carrier. The spindles still need to be bored out to accept the 1.5" diameter, 35-spline axles.

24610740251_large.jpg

Still on the wish list are high steer arms, 35-spline stubs, rear disc brake components, diff covers, lockers, etc. If you're looking to dump anything, please let me know what you have and what you're asking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
If you're in the Fredericksburg, VA area, Fredericksburg Machine Shop can bore your spindles. I'll let you know how much when I have the actual work done.

Fredericksburg Machine and Steel, LLC
2202 Airport Airport Ave.
Fredericksburg, VA 22401

(540) 373-7957

http://www.fredericksburgmachine.com

Cool video of a D60 spinning on a lathe!
[youtube]fm84z_gLEa8[/youtube]

FWIW, I read a post by East Coast Gear Supply (cperry) on Pirate which stated the following:

"If you were not fortunate enough to snag a big spindle D60, then your spindle will need to be bored out. Not all D60 spindles can be bored, there are some very rare D60s that have very small spindles. The borable spindles have an OD that measures close to 2'' and the ID needs to be bored to 1.560."

Or, for $65 bones (a pop), perhaps some new 14-Bolt spindles from RuffStuff?

4340%20spindles%2040%20spline.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
FWIW, the OD of my 16-spline axle is 1 3/16" at the main shaft, but it tapers out to 1 5/16" at the splines.
24610740359_large.jpg

At the spindles "center mass," the OD is 1 31/32".
24610740360_large.jpg

At this portion, it measured in at 2".
24610740361_large.jpg

For the ID, I got a reading of 1 13/32".
24610740362_large.jpg

24610740363_large.jpg

Here's where 1 9/16" would put me. It looks like I took the picture with the caliper a little left, but it's basically boring out the thickness of the interior's beveled edge).
24610740364_large.jpg

The current wall thickness on the spindle is 9/32".
24610740358_large.jpg

So, with an OD of 1 31/32" and an ID of 1 9/16", I should end up with a spindle wall thickness of ~7/32" or just shy of 1/4". I'm only losing what, ~1/16" wall thickness?

OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Summing-up the Pros & Cons:

Man, there are all sorts of opinions out there on which axle is best. One can easily become overwhelmed sorting through all the pros and cons of each.

Guys with D60s brag of their after market support and various selections in gears and lockers. The other axles are too heavy or their diffs are too big and rob you of ground clearance. The cons being that if you do need to bore out your spindles, it'll cost you extra to have it done correctly or you run the risk of suffering potentially serious consequences. You can take your empty housing to a machine shop that has a lathe large enough to spin the housing or cut off your spindles to have them bored out and then re-weld them to your housing which requires special tools. You can also buy, rent, or make an improvised tool that'll allow you to bore out your own spindles. In a weight comparison between comparable axles (14B, D70, etc.), all with disc brake conversions, it would be the lightest. However, pinion deflection seems to be an issue. I'm no expert, but I'd venture to say that you'd probably require aftermarket (14B, D70 or 9") spindles if you wanted to run 40 spline axles and that may complicate a disk brake conversion option and it better be done right! (Oh geez, that's another can of worms 40-spline axles and drive flanges being strictly for off-road, comp rigs only!) Nevertheless, I know some folks who beat their junk pretty regularly and have no quarrels with their bored out D60s.

The guys with 14-bolts say there's is better than the D60 because you can find them dirt cheap everywhere, they don't have to bore out their spindles and they already have 1.5" diameter axles (I believe even the 30-splines are 1.5" diameter), their $hit is super beefy and easy to work on and after market parts are relatively cheap. A CUCV find may also net you a Detroit or Gov-Loc (Is there a difference?). They also have the extra pinion support which is truly an added plus and their gear and locker selections keep growing. The Eaton is cool as hell with its smaller housing and drop out third but they're obviously rare and would require some custom work (something about the side gears requiring mods). Ballistic Fabrication is working on a new 14-bolt housing and Portal-Tek now has their new Super-14 drop out third member. It's $1,400 but hey, folks are paying top dollar for True Hi-9s.

Guys that opt for the D70 claim the 14-bolt's an anchor. The guys with the 14B will counter that they can shave their housings and even their rings! (That kind of takes away from their arument of having a larger ring.)

Looking at the February 2010 issue of Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road, the American Axle Manufacturing's (AAM) 11.5" ring dwarfs the 14-bolt's and Ford Sterling's 10.5" ring. The tooth surface contact on Sterling's pinion dwarfs that of the 14-bolt's, but the splined shaft portion on the 14-bolts pinion appears thicker.

14-bolt and D70 front axles, Yota axles, D80s, MOGs, Rocks, Portals, 609s, where does it end and who really gives a $hit? They each appear to have their own pros and cons with money savings being the primary factor for most. If I had nothing on-hand and money was an issue, I'd opt for the 14-bolt for the reasons provided and because I like the GLO pinion guard that I run on my 9". (That thing has taken a beating and probably saved by drive shaft a number of times.) Now that leads me to the 9". If my 9" was full-width, I'd keep it! It's large pinion contact, extra support and third drop out are all pretty sweet. However, having to go with a matching full-width front end I'd need new axles and since my Currie's are 31-splines and I'd being opting for 35s or 40s, I'd need a new locker as well! Damn if one thing doesn't lead to another! The 9" has a HUGE after-market and custom, stupid HD housings are available from just about every reputable manufacturer!

My goal is to stuff a pair of 40" MT/Rs or KM2s (Used, those are some pricey boogers!) under my hydro-assisted, dual purposed Bronc. Yeah, cruising topless in my baby during the summer is wicked cool. I already have a freak'n D60 so if it's gonna cost me ~$100 (hopefully less than that) to bore out the spindles, then I'll probably proceed with the build because that's what I have and because it closely matches my front axle's WMS.

Let's see how it goes...

Last edited:
OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Also, the 35-spline shafts are 1.5" diameter. I've read various IDs to allow the shaft to slide it and oil to flow around. I've read as little as 1.525 to as much as 1.630" (which they claimed was the ID of a D70). I think the 1.630" is a bit much for my application so I'm going with the 1.560 (1 9/16"). In theory, that'll allow 1/16" for lube flow. (Assuming my tubes aren't bent.) %)

Any other opinions?

Last edited:

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I had my D60 bored to accept 35 spline axles. I used D70 axles and had 2 spacers made that go where the gasket goes on the outside of the hub. The 70 axles are about 3/8" too long. I plan on getting aftermarket D60 shafts made when I get the rest of my Bronco done. It was a cheap and easy way to get by for now.

CORE4WD

Loc.
Virginia Beach
Hey Axel how the heck are ya? I was looking at your front axle pic and it looks like a later year axle. I say this because the driver side tube should have more clearance between the leaf spring mount and "c". On my 78-79 D60 it has a couple inches left over (next to the "c" part of knuckle) even after the wedge is installed. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic? Just curious...

Attachments

• 60 front.jpg
    60 front.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Dave, unfortunately you are correct! I purchased the front axle from John (Nosigma) on our local boards. If you don't already know, John's a real stand-up guy and I took him at his word. According to John,

"After a couple hours of head scratching it turns out that while the truck was a 78 the axle is an 88. There are only two differences, the spring pads are 5" further apart on the 88 and there is 3.5" more space between the kingpin and the pinion yoke on the drivers side (see link to Bill Vista article). WMS-WMS, axles, kingpins, lockouts, etc. are all the same.

If you dont want the axle let me know and I will refund your money."

Like I said, he's a real stand-up guy. The BOM number is actually 610313-2. I'm going to research this further to see how others have made similar axles work. I think John meant to say that the pinion centerline to knuckle centerline is 3.5" closer. I know the extra 3.5" of extra room on the driver's side axle tube would've helped simplify things. Now I'm not sure.

Thanks, and great eye!

Axel

CORE4WD

Loc.
Virginia Beach
Depends if you want to use factory style mounting ie; wedges. If so, I would see if he is going to swap you for a 78-79 and go with that. If you plan on using links or really anything other than wedges you will have enough room to mount the brackets. CAGE's long arm kit with axle brackets vice wedges come to mind. However, I went to their website and it said they're out of business??
If you need a 78-79 D60 front check with-
http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/
They were good to me!

OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
The spindles still have plenty of wall thickness. :)
29865930271_large.jpg

Haven't received my rear axles yet so I tried a 35-spline stub. %)
29865930272_large.jpg

Plenty of room for lube. ;D
29865930270_large.jpg

For the record, I had the spindles bored out to 1.560".

Last edited:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Very nice - I went with a D70 due to the fact the axle will NEVER break. I outfitted it with RuffStuff disk brakes, ubolt kit, leaf perches and shock mounts. There is nothing there to go wrong - it came prefessionally welded. Use what you can find - there really isn't going to be a strength difference between the 14B, Sterling, D70 argument - under an EB with less then 400ft/tq I wouldn't worry about it.

Scott C.

Loc.
Waynetown IN
When I built my Dana 60HP for the rear of my 95 YJ. I used the spindles and hubs from a single wheel Dana 70. They had 35 spline axles. The hubs are narrow like a Dana 60. They use the same wheel bearings as the Dana 60HP that I used up front. JB's 4x4 in Kingman IN did my work. He can fix you right up. His phone number is 1-765-397-3902.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
What year is your front 60 and how did you elect to install it?

My front HP D60 is an '88. I was thinking of going with a 3-link. Looking at the Static-X build and Poly's 3-link kit, it appears to have the top link mount on the driver's inside frame rail - WOW! I think IronBender went the same route. However, it looks like the majority went with the passenger side for the obvious reason - ROOM! Maybe it's the difference between those with the '78/'79s and those with no room to work with.

OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
I get your rims!!!!!

Jeff, you really like those wheels. They're a little scuffed up, but when I'm done with the swap, you've got dibs.

You know I can't drive a little! Went to Crozet today and in between the stick and the carb, I was crapping out all day! Got any old EFI trash laying around? :p No seriously, I think the only way to really set those wheels off now is aluminum beadlocks.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
%)

Hey, shouldn't you be out training for a fight or something? Where the hell is my BEER! ;)

yeah it looks like i'm fighting february 20th here in huntsville. i have your beer right here man. you'd be short a lot of it if i could drink right now.