• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Options to fix/adjust 3 speed floor shifter

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I'm having to replace my shifter boot every few months on my '76 because the shifter is ripping it. Its a Duff kit the PO installed. As you can tell, the throw on the shifter seems more towards the front of vehicle. Maybe the PO did this on purpose to clear the seat with the curve in the shifter. I haven't taken off the floor hump to see whats going on, I was hoping to get some info before I do in case I might just need a whole new shifter. My 3 speed is stock but I have a 3 inch body lift that might be problem.

Was looking at a 'pleather' type boot form Lokar. Do you think that will give me enough give to stop the ripping?

Is this a JD hump plate?? The PO has done some weird stuff and wouldn't be surprised if this is homemade.

Do you think I can install a straight shaft shifter coming out of floor and be able to adjust the linkage and throw that it will stop tearing?

Side shot in second gear. Is the chrome bezel rolling over the edge normal?

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
My money is on the 3" body lift as being the culprit. The pivot point is now 3" lower than it is designed for.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
My money is on the 3" body lift as being the culprit. The pivot point is now 3" lower than it is designed for. Therefore, the bend in the shifter is now 3" lower also and contacting the rubber boot where it wouldn't without the body lift.

Sorry if that is confusing....it isn't in my mind.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I had the same issue with mine and a 2" body lift. I bought a pleather one from amazon, and one for my t-case shifter, and then made my own retaining rings. I'm sure the original retainer would've worked, but the one I made fit better. I also cut/welded and bent the shifter to place it right in my hand without having to sit leaning forward to reach the shifter.
Easy little job, and looks way better than the dirty, ripped plastic one. The driving position is way more comfortable too.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
332cba59d8a856d2eb91d5ae2bbc66ad.jpg

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
In the back of mind I was thinking the body lift was the issue making it pivot more. I cant tell by your picture but does the pleather boot fit snuggle on the shifter or did you have to use a zip tie?

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Mine fit snug with no tie-wrap. Lots of them available have a chrome ring at the top, but I wasn't certain it would fit the profile of the shifter, so I got ones with an elastic sort of top.
Also had to find one with approximately the right size rectangle at the bottom for the mounting ring, but they worked pretty well.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Mine fit snug with no tie-wrap. Lots of them available have a chrome ring at the top, but I wasn't certain it would fit the profile of the shifter, so I got ones with an elastic sort of top.
Also had to find one with approximately the right size rectangle at the bottom for the mounting ring, but they worked pretty well.

Thanks buddy, off to Amazon I go