• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

painless wiring question zf transmission

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
hey guys, quick question, im running a zf transmission in my eb and im putting a new harness in. if i remember right the plug on the side of the tranny is for the back up lights right?

so how would the neutral safety switch hook up with this configuration? i dont really care if i have a neutral safety but i didnt know if leaving these wires unattached would cause me any problems.

thanks a bunch guys!

Big Slim

the plug on the driver side of the trany is the reverse light switch.
I believe i removed the neutral saftey switch wires from my harness with the zf.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Red with blue stripe wire still has to have a direct path from the ignition switch to the starter relay. So, if one length of it is long enough, you simply connect it and don’t worry about splicing in a neutral safety switch.
However, if in the harness that wire is already split into two separate sections of the wire, you would have to splice them together.
I haven’t read the Painless instructions recently, so not sure how they handle that.
It’s probably one long wire, but you’re correct to question it at least.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I believe that most Ford applications had a Manual Trans safety switch that was on the clutch pedal. I don't believe there is a manual trans with a neutral safety switch in it like the back lights switch.
So as suggested bypass the harness, as was done at the factory, by installing a jumper wire. You can do a direct splice, or as stated just remove the wires all together.
I know on the aftermarket harness with the purple wires that run from side to side I have installed a weather pack two terminal plug on the driver's side where I can remove the jumper as sort of an anti theft device.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
904Bronco is correct, the neutral safety switch would have been on the clutch pedal and not the trans. You could add a switch to the pedal if you really wanted it but I run my ZF without one

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
ok so since there is no switch i can just ignore the two wires labeled neutral safety switch then right?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
ok so since there is no switch i can just ignore the two wires labeled neutral safety switch then right?
Maybe... More than likely they would need to be connected together for your starter circuit to work.
What aftermarket wiring harness you going to run?

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Maybe... More than likely they would need to be connected together for your starter circuit to work.
What aftermarket wiring harness you going to run?
im running the painless bronco harness. i like your anti theft idea. im thinking of doing the same thing. maybe with a hidden switch somewhere?

thanks for all the info guys!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
904Bronco is correct, the neutral safety switch would have been on the clutch pedal and not the trans. You could add a switch to the pedal if you really wanted it but I run my ZF without one
More trivia here:

@904Bronco said "I believe that most Ford applications had a Manual Trans safety switch that was on the clutch pedal."
There is no such thing as a Manual Trans safety switch in a Ford with EEC4. So that's correct.

" I don't believe there is a manual trans with a neutral safety switch in it like the back lights switch."
The Ford nomenclature for the thing on a manual transmission to inform the status of neutral is called the NSS, or Neutral Sensing Switch. The engineers in the Ford controls group think that they are quite clever. They KNEW that everyone called the NSS the neutral safety switch. But they call the circuit the NDS, or "Neutral Drive Switch." HOWEVER, the Sequential Multi-port EEC4 system is looking for the transmission status. So the T5 Manual transmission in the 1986-93 Mustang 5.0 is equipped with an NSS (sensing) that works in series with the CSS (Clutch Safety Switch) to inform the ECU when the car is in neutral / disengaged from the drivetrain. It does in fact look like a back up light switch on the transmission. (Don't get me started on the Brake On - Off or "BOO" switch.) The wiring for the starter circuit is isolated from the NDS circuit. There's two switches on the clutch pedal switch.

The manual transmission with the ZF in the fuel injected F150 does NOT have an NSS.

5.0 EFI systems running the RJM/Ron Francis/TDZ harness defeat the NDS circuit. Explorer EDIS doesn't care, because they were all Autos.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think we have to invite James to our next lunch outing Doug. The conversations could get very interesting and even more in depth!😁

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Lars and I were talking recently and decided that James is at the top of our "CB members we'd like to meet" list!

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that right there is a great story. Why haven’t we heard that before!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great story! I wondered if it was going to be about Lance as I was reading it.

Todd Z.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
More trivia here:

@904Bronco said "I believe that most Ford applications had a Manual Trans safety switch that was on the clutch pedal."
There is no such thing as a Manual Trans safety switch in a Ford with EEC4. So that's correct.

" I don't believe there is a manual trans with a neutral safety switch in it like the back lights switch."
The Ford nomenclature for the thing on a manual transmission to inform the status of neutral is called the NSS, or Neutral Sensing Switch. The engineers in the Ford controls group think that they are quite clever. They KNEW that everyone called the NSS the neutral safety switch. But they call the circuit the NDS, or "Neutral Drive Switch." HOWEVER, the Sequential Multi-port EEC4 system is looking for the transmission status. So the T5 Manual transmission in the 1986-93 Mustang 5.0 is equipped with an NSS (sensing) that works in series with the CSS (Clutch Safety Switch) to inform the ECU when the car is in neutral / disengaged from the drivetrain. It does in fact look like a back up light switch on the transmission. (Don't get me started on the Brake On - Off or "BOO" switch.) The wiring for the starter circuit is isolated from the NDS circuit. There's two switches on the clutch pedal switch.

The manual transmission with the ZF in the fuel injected F150 does NOT have an NSS.

5.0 EFI systems running the RJM/Ron Francis/TDZ harness defeat the NDS circuit. Explorer EDIS doesn't care, because they were all Autos.
Thank you for that detailed explanation. I remember trying to sort through the logic of all that 22 years ago when I was getting my A9L (manual) equipped 5.0 running, and thinking all that was very much like a bandaid. And don’t get me started on Probst’s book.. I had forgotten most of it. Now I’m groaning over the memories.

Cheers!