• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Part review17016 manual shift collar JBG

phldwsnoc1

Loc.
Jarrettsville, MD
This part was installed as part of a column overhaul. The shift lever pivot area on the original was fractured and otherwise worn out. The exterior finish was ready for primer and paint and looked good when top coated. The lever support was larger in diameter and appeared robust. The column assembled well, but then dimensional deficiencies became apparent. First, the tube would engage the 2-3 shift arm, but would not release it when engaging the 1-R arm. This turned out to be an internal dimension of the collar that restricted movement of the lever and tube. Quite a bit of material was removed to correct this condition, but it was fully corrected and now works well. This added about an hour of test fitting and file work. The second condition which showed on final assembly was the supplied pivot pin fit to the collar. The pin is the correct dimension for an original collar, but with the increase in diameter of the new lever support, it does not engage the lower hole at all when fully installed. It also does not press into place when installed, but just drops into the hole in the collar.

I submitted a thorough description of these conditions to JBG through their technical support response form and asked if a proper sized pivot pin might be available. After two weeks their response has been complete silence. Gotta love our beloved vendors.

bronco1969

Loc.
Candler,NC
yep,had the same problem from their shift collar.Also got the glove box cable and was too short(was in dennis carpenter bag).Got turn signal switch from dennis carpenter and threads were wrong for the lever.Guess it's pot luck anymore unless you get NOS parts.

OP
OP
P

phldwsnoc1

Loc.
Jarrettsville, MD
Thanks 1969. I was hoping my experience was abnormal, but you confirmed my suspicions. I guess the bronco community deserves what it tolerates.

Here's wishing us both better luck next time!

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I would give them a call instead of e-mailing them. Ask to talk to Jeff or Josh and explain the situation. I have to believe they would take care of you.

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
Just an FYI, seems to be same issue with WH part number 2598. I assume all the shops are buying from 1-2 suppliers. Admittedly I bought mine a few years ago and DirtDonk thinks they may have a different supplier or casting now.
See my thread Manual Shift Collar for more comments and pics