• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Penetrating Oils

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
One day I was reading along here and somebody mentioned using "PB Blaster". And that brand seems to come up all the time. Funny thing is, I had never heard of PB Blaster before. I had always used Liquid Wrench, so I wondered if times had moved forward and left me behind. But then I saw a reference to this article where they measured the effectiveness of different brands on rusty bolts measuring the break-away torque. The lower number is the better oil. Looks like PB blaster is only slightly better than WD-40, Liquid Wrench is twice as good, and ATF-Acetone is twice as good as that. Useful to keep in mind next time you are at the automotive fluids shelf in the parts store.. No wonder most of the the C4s in Broncos leak so much......

The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop
Testing Different Types of Penetrating Oils
Bender, Lloyd
Subject: Cutting Fluids
Issue: MW Vol. 20 No. 2 Apr-May 2007

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
And I just bought a new can of PB Blaster today! WD-40 has a new product out as well so I am trying that currently too.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You can break a nut loose using it.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Kano is great,but too HIGH$$ and for me and my test subjects I like the PB BLASTER.I quit using W-D 40 along time ago.Diesel fuel is good for Penetrating.I have broke free several stuck single cylinder dirt bike motors with that stuff.I guess it's just what each person prefers and or can get.