• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

plasma cutter recomendations

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Tax season is coming up and I expect a return and am considering buying a plasma cutter for the home. I have a set of gas torches that always have empty out dated bottles. So I want to get out of the bottle hassles and away from the empty bottle excuses for my projects.

I don't want to buy cheap crap but I am not well off either.

I don't know anything about plasma torches suitable for the home. I have never used one or seen one in operation. I am pretty old school.

I need compressed air right? I have a 2 stage 220 volt 1 HP compressor with 30 gallon tank @ 10 cfm is that enough?

I have a 220 volt 30 amp single phase service line I use for my welder.

So where to start with a plasma cutter? I want to be able to cut 1/4 steel plate with no hassles.

Are there standards to consumables and how often do you go through that stuff? Are there other stuff that goes with this that needs to be purchased?

I'd like to cap my expenses at 1500 bucks and that is allot for me. If I can do under that, it would be great.

If I am a fool for trying that's ok, I just don't want to get stuck with an odd ball piece of crap that won't fit my needs. If I need more money it will have to wait, if so how much more.

I appreciate the help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Compressor is fine. You won't cut continously, plenty of recovery time. Is the HP number right? 1HP has to be wrong.

Thermal dynamics cutmaster. I have the 50, newest model is 52. See if the specs work for you. It has been a very good machine for me. Consumables are easy to get and I use less of them then other people do. That was one of the Thermal dynamics selling points, lower consumable costs.

OP
OP
Rustytruck

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Thank you I will check the HP. I use full size spray guns with it.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That Cutmaster is a nice one plus it has the pilot arc start which helps reduce wear on your consumables. Within your budget too. Ken

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was going to suggest Thermal Dynamics...good value units. Others I would consider include ESAB, Hypertherm, Hobart, Miller, etc.

FWIW, most of the units that will cut 1/4" like it ain't no thang will probably be rated to cut 1/2" material. The Thermal Dynamics 52 is a 1/2" rated machine, but will require about 45 Amps of 220V/240V single phase to get there, which will be similar across comparable machines from the various manufacturers.

I don't have any experience with the generic/branded boxes, so can't really speak to those.

jagbucket

there is no garantee that the machine you buy today will have parts available in 10 years no matter who made it . name brand 110 welder, torch is obsolete, name brand plasma, consumables no longer made waited weeks for an order from china that didnt work , after exploring all of ebay's vendors.

curious to hear from someone that purchased the hf plasma 1/2 the price of the new small hypertherm i bought last fall , i'm stocking up on consumables for it while its still new, a great tool but spendy btw

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I buy and use a LOT of plasmas. Hypertherm 45XP will cut anything your going to work on, will run on your power all day long. Hypertherm is also good about keeping parts available. I have yet to find a part that couldn't be had or retro fitted. We use them in a production shop and are moving away from the larger units as they need replaced to the 45XP. I also have one in my own garage.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
there is no garantee that the machine you buy today will have parts available in 10 years no matter who made it . name brand 110 welder, torch is obsolete, name brand plasma, consumables no longer made waited weeks for an order from china that didnt work , after exploring all of ebay's vendors.

curious to hear from someone that purchased the hf plasma 1/2 the price of the new small hypertherm i bought last fall , i'm stocking up on consumables for it while its still new, a great tool but spendy btw

My thermaldynamics is about 15 years old. No problem getting consumables. Pretty sure they are the same consumables as the new units. With that in mind there is enough legacy that I don't feel like there will be an issue with getting them in the future. I'm pretty sure there are a few different manufacturers of them right now anyway. There are enough of these machines in service that there will be enough demand to keep them available.

Now if you were getting some off brand, that might be an issue. But even then you could probably go ahead and change out the torch and make something else work.

OP
OP
Rustytruck

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
How fast do you go through consumeables? Every 10 feet, 100 feet, 500 feet? For a home machine maybe cut 10 feet a month probably would be allot. I'm 58 years old. Maybe cut stuff for another 10 years if I am lucky. Probably able to stock up enough stuff before it would become obsolete?

Loc.
Liberal\Claremore
I buy and use a LOT of plasmas. Hypertherm 45XP will cut anything your going to work on, will run on your power all day long. Hypertherm is also good about keeping parts available. I have yet to find a part that couldn't be had or retro fitted. We use them in a production shop and are moving away from the larger units as they need replaced to the 45XP. I also have one in my own garage.

I have the same machine. I would recommend it.

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I have a hypertherm 35, thermal dynamics 120, miller 65, and 2 Chinese. One is 100a, one is a 50a plasma at work. I also have a "eBay cut 50" at home. They all work, but my favorite is the hypertherm. For your grage I would look at a hypthem 35, or 45. If you're not doing production work and don't need a clean cut on more than 1/4" I personally would go with the 35. If you think you might want to cut 3/8 go with the 45, with your power supply I wouldn't go any bigger than a thermal dynamics 52. Most welding supply shops on the west coast stock hypertherm consumables, for that emergency oops I ran out. All are available on line, but figure out what consumables you will need and stock up. Also most consumer plasmas come with a shieled tip and a cheesy stand off for you to drag, if you go with hypertherm, thermal dynamics, or miller you can switch the consumables to an insulated "drag tip" I highly recommend doing so it makes it much easier to use, witch makes the consumables last much longer!!!
Good luck!

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
How fast do you go through consumeables? Every 10 feet, 100 feet, 500 feet? For a home machine maybe cut 10 feet a month probably would be allot. I'm 58 years old. Maybe cut stuff for another 10 years if I am lucky. Probably able to stock up enough stuff before it would become obsolete?
I've seen guys destroy consumables in 2"
By hand on new clean steel I would expect 40-100' of cut before changing consumables.
. It depends on the machine 1, the amps/thickness 2, the arc length 3, the cleanliness of the material 4, the type of material 5, how clean the supplied air is 6, the experience of the operator and that's the biggest one. If you are just getting into it, plan to practice, and foul counsumables.

Also please rember a plasma arc will cut anything that is mildly conductive including fingers, so invest in some PPE, while you're at. It.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
On the 45xp we are getting 3000" of cutting out of consumables on a machine, 1500" hand cutting is not unusual

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you do what you see on TV, light the torch off the work surface, all the energy is going into the tip and cup. That is where you destroy stuff very quickly.

I have also got a deal on a pile of flat plate and made a nice plate bumper on a single set of consumables. There was a lot of 2' long cuts to get the angles right. Get a straight edge and learn to pull at a steady pace.

Doing a bunch of cutting, long days in the shop, I will still pull a couple weekends out of a set. When they go it is gradual, which is fine for thinner rougher cuts. Eventually it will just cut like crap and it is time for a new set. Often I'll end up putting new in when I want to make a really nice cut in something. So I don't always get full life out of them.

Cutting clean metal is best. Perforated or expanded metal is the worst. Thermodynamics has a feature to help with this.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

I'd listen to this guy...^^^^

OP
OP
Rustytruck

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Guys,
I am really glad for the help. The biggest news is this is a doable within my budget and abilities.
thank you all for the help and insight. All much better than jumping in the deepend with your eyes closed.