• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plasma cutter

Loc.
Liberal\Claremore
Thinking about buying a plasma cutter. Knowing I will never use it enough to recoup my money. Thinking about a Hypertherm Powermax 45XP. Anyone have any experience with this brand or model?

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
My son has one, that same one is on my xmas wish list. I've run it, it'll cut what they advertised, while many brands are overstated

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I have heard that Hypertherm are pretty good little units. wish I had one lol

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I have one. I thought it was the best bang for the dollar when I bought mine. I have not had any issues. Replacement parts are widely available. Like triggers when your brother crunches the handle with his boot...

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I have used miller's, thermal dynamics, cheap ebay ones, and hands down hypertherm is my favorite!!! I think you'll be very happy with it.

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I have had great luck with my Longevity 40amp, had it for about 8 yrs now with no problems. Its just one of the many Chinese ones, payed about $500 for it and it with slice 3/8" all day in a hurry.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I use a 45XP everyday. Plenty of machine for any of your needs and is very reliable, and if there is a problem hypotherm has been fantistic to deal with. I have 20+ of them in a production setting and couldn't be more pleased

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I use a 45XP everyday. Plenty of machine for any of your needs and is very reliable, and if there is a problem hypotherm has been fantistic to deal with. I have 20+ of them in a production setting and couldn't be more pleased
sneak one out for me;D

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We have two of them at the shop (both 480 V three phase). One is larger than the other--I can't remember the model numbers. One will cut pretty thick stuff. I believe these were originally made to cut aluminum. I haven't used them a lot but every time I do I am amazed at how fast you can cut and how clean the cut is (I am used to oxy/acet).

We went through a lot of consumable parts in the torch until we installed air filters on the machines. This dramatically cut down on the consumables but we still go through quite a few. However, everyone and their brother uses them and we are in extremely dirty environments cutting nasty stuff. We just mounted a small tool box on the cage we built and keep it stocked.

We abuse our machines and other than the consumables they have been pretty trouble-free.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I bought the Harbor freight plasma cutter used off craigslist for $150.
While the cuts are not as crisp as my old miller, and the tips wear out quicker, I'm satisfied with it.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I just bought a hyperthem power max 45xp just got it out of the box haven't tried it out yet ,it sure is lite easy to move to other shop

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I bought the Harbor freight plasma cutter used off craigslist for $150.
While the cuts are not as crisp as my old miller, and the tips wear out quicker, I'm satisfied with it.

sometimes, cheaper is better.. :)