• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plastic or Metal tank, ordering today..

vtboy51

I pulled my old tank last night and found it's time for a new one. I'm going to order the entire kit from BG, should I go plastic or metal. I live in the north, but don't plan to run this in the winter, and it will most likely be on pavement most of it's live with some occasional trail use. Pros/cons please...

ALSO, do I need the "Sending Unit Filter", I just saw this on the website. I will be replacing the sending unit and wire connector, but where does the filter go?

Last edited:

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
As I understand it, the plastic tank is smaller in capacity I guess due to its thickness. And maybe has a tendency to leak at the sending unit.

EDIT: I installed the Sherman tank with 23 gallon capacity. Gives me plenty of range. Did over 200 mile road trip Sunday on one tank. Even had some left when we got home. Not sure what kind of mileage I am getting, but seems OK.
Odometer is now over 9,000 miles since getting the Bronco on the road last November.

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I put a TBP Poly tank in mine 15 years ago.

Still fine. No leaks.

Best of all.....NO RUST EVER AGAIN...LOL

13 gallon capacity.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I went for the metal tank yesterday to replace my 12 gal for a 23 gallon. I am getting about 8 miles to gallon and the small tank doesn't get me too far.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I installed a metal one from JBG also - I got the whole kit too and it all worked well. As far as material of the tank, both metal and plastic are proven fuel tank materials so it's kind of a personal preference. If you go plastic, you might have to run a ground to the sending unit and might be a good thing to do with metal as well just to ensure the ground is solid.
The filter you are referring to is probably for the fuel sender unit pickup tube that runs to the bottom of the tank - probably a cylinder shape or sock type filter.

**Edit on the ground - I think the factory harness connector will take care of the ground no matter what the tank material is, sorry about that**

DJs74

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The filters are good to replace after a few decades, but your new sender will (or should at least) come with a new one already installed.

Paul