• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please someone, check my work to make sure its right!

Dakota

Loc.
Sunny South Dakota!
Okay, 3g Alternator upgrade is hooked up, want to make sure this is right before it fire it off. I have used "search" extensively to get a plan--thanks to all who have discussed this in the past.

I have a Centech harness, standard 130 amp 3G from junkyard. I cut the yellow ALT wire from the Centech, capped it, and coiled it up. The red BATT from the Centech remains connected to starter block (power for fuse box?) I bought a 4 gauge starter wire and 175 amp inline fuse, and connected the post from the 3g to the + side of the battery. I looped the orange wire on the 3g pigtail to the same post the 4 gauge wire is connected to.

Should be good to go, right?
I have fully charged my battery, which I need to do, right?
It is time to start it?
Once running, where to I put test meter probes to make sure everything's working?

Just looking for a little reassurance that I have not done anything dumb...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I didn't see the "I" or "S" terminal wires mentioned. Wire it just like this diagram. Ignore colors cause centech wires are different.

OP
OP
Dakota

Dakota

Loc.
Sunny South Dakota!
Sorry, the S wire is connected to a keyed hot, and the other I wire is looped back to its home plug per the pigtail I got with the alternator.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You're cleared for launch then. Measure the battery voltage before and after starting and that will tell you if the alternator is doing anything.

OP
OP
Dakota

Dakota

Loc.
Sunny South Dakota!
Apparently my junkyard alternator has a bearing out of it, the racket was ridiculous! Gonna have to undo the thing and go get another one. Darn!

oldiron

Bronco Guru
I've had that happen before....sucks!!!
Good luck with a replacement.
Greg