• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powder Coating Factory Wheels

Tandy

Loc.
Muscle Shoals , AL
I have factory wheels sandblasted and ready to powder coat. I have 2 local businesses that tell me they will rust where the inner portion of the wheel meets the outer portion. Has anyone with powder coated factory wheel had a problem with any rust?

ShoeSlinger

I have powder coated factory rims and live next to the ocean. Everything is rusting except for the rims.

House

Minutia Militia
I wouldn’t worry about it, but make sure to clean the lug nut surfaces to bare metal prior to mounting them...

1970 Palmer

I've had steel "welded" trailer wheels powder coated many times without any issue of rust between the two welded parts.

You will have rust issues and coating chipping around the lugnut holes (like House said) unless you sand off all of the coating on the small area where the lug nuts tighten.

My big concern with powder coating is that if the wheels are exposed to long term (like one year) of any sun exposure you will have chalking of the product. In my personal experience, a quality "two part" epoxy primer, then top coated with an automotive quality paint will give you the best UV protection.