• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering 170/200 Inline 6

cletust1966

Loc.
Knoxville, Tn
I was wondering if anyone else had purchases the 6 cylinder bracket for the power steering pump from B.C. Broncos? And if you have, did you have any problems installing it or have to do any mods to it to get it to work? Also what kind of pump did you use? I have a factory power steering pump off of a V8 and im having some issues with clearance and belt alignment. Pictures of the bracket and pump bolted to the engine would be great. ;D

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
If you can find one from a 65 Mustang 200I6 it works perfect. Getting harder to find, but I still run across them occasionally on E-Bay.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've installed two of the brackets from BC Broncos. While it works, I have two complaints with it. The bracket comes with the incorrect bolts for bolting it to the engine, and the rear hole for mounting the pump is drilled in the wrong location. The pump sits crooked in the bracket and the belt will not run completely true. Both of these that I have installed have had the same exact problems.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Running Buddy and I put power steering on his 200 cid about 7 years ago ..
I do think he had to buy one bracket .. bACK THEN i THINK HE BOUGHT from Toms. THe mounting bracket worked with a Sag Pump. He also got some bracket items off a 250 Mavrick motor we bought. It all worked out fine after a little tuwking . But it's sure nice to have power steering ..
...On a 2nd note I hand built a set of brackets for my 1st rig I could never get them straight so I bought a set of brackets .. The bought ones were no staighter than the home made ones. But they both worked great.. So run it before you grip about it.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Did that do any damage to ur pump or ur box?

It wouldn't do any damage to the box. I suppose it could prematurely wear out the bearings in the pump. The crookedness is not enough to cause the belt to come off the pump while the engine is running, but it is noticeable. I've put maybe 1,000 miles on it since adding the power steering - not driven much at all. You can see in this picture that the side of the pulley closest to the water pump is not inline with the two pulleys on the front of the engine. The rear hole needs to be a half or quarter inch closer to the driver side of the bracket.

l_67f6704c778747c981f2cb600fc3cd1a.jpg

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Can't remember who posted these for me, but here is the Mustang bracket I mentioned. Everything lines up perfectly and there is one more brace that goes back to top motor mount keeping it lined up. Last pic is of mine showing clearance.

Attachments

• PS Bronco.jpg
    PS Bronco.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 55
  • PS Bronco2.jpg
    PS Bronco2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 49
  • Pumpsmall.jpg
    Pumpsmall.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 45

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
It wouldn't do any damage to the box. I suppose it could prematurely wear out the bearings in the pump. The crookedness is not enough to cause the belt to come off the pump while the engine is running, but it is noticeable. I've put maybe 1,000 miles on it since adding the power steering - not driven much at all. You can see in this picture that the side of the pulley closest to the water pump is not inline with the two pulleys on the front of the engine. The rear hole needs to be a half or quarter inch closer to the driver side of the bracket.

l_67f6704c778747c981f2cb600fc3cd1a.jpg

I didn't know there was a problem with the bracket being off like that. Could you measure from the engine side of the bracket to the bolt front and back to see if the bracket is square.They may have been made wrong. I don't have a 6 around but I have brackets. The bolt size varies from head to head.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
And yet another set up, more hack job (me, got on brd air, hydraulics, plow pump - lota chit makes it hard, gotta rework it all).
/Users/charlesfuller/Desktop/IMG_0024.JPG
/Users/charlesfuller/Desktop/IMG_0025.JPG
top view
Side view
When I put the 4.1/250 in it'll go thru another iteration, 'course.

OP
OP
C

cletust1966

Loc.
Knoxville, Tn
And yet another set up, more hack job (me, got on brd air, hydraulics, plow pump - lota chit makes it hard, gotta rework it all).
/Users/charlesfuller/Desktop/IMG_0024.JPG
/Users/charlesfuller/Desktop/IMG_0025.JPG
top view
Side view
When I put the 4.1/250 in it'll go thru another iteration, 'course.

The pictures didnt show up...

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
o0OPPps...
Like da 'stang guy (above) I cobbled sompin 2 gether w/bar stock n nother bracket (I think that's his in the BIG pic).
Haven't read how to upload here. Post a copy of yer e-mail 2 me at the one listed in my sig. below...I know how to do an "attachment' to THAT!