• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering problem

am

I have a 71 with a 302 and I have had a leak in my what appears my return valve which I have just filled. This morning my belt popped off and it had a small tear. After getting a new belt I am having an awful squeal when I turn the tires. The leaks still doesn't appear stopped either. Any thoughts?? Thanks for the help! The belts appear to have teeth in the V vs what I am replacing which was much more smooth.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
V-belts come in different widths. A too small width will sit low in the pulley and you'll never be able to tighten it enough to get the squealing to stop. You need a belt that sits flush with the top of the pulley, or just slightly above it.

I had this problem with an alternator belt. The store kept selling me the one their computer showed, it squealed, I would tighten the snot out of it, the belt would break, and I'd be back at square one. I finally took the power steering belt in and told them I needed one that thick in the correct length for the alternator. Squealing problem fixed.

Smooth belt vs. teeth is just the manufacturer as far as I know. Shouldn't make any difference as long as you have the correct length and width.

Where is the leak coming from? At the box, you could try snugging the fitting down a bit. At the pump, it's just a hose clamp. Tighten a little more or look to see if the hose clamp has cut into the hose causing the leak.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Another thought, if the pump bracket is loose or missing parts it can flex. Flexing can lead to lost tension (belt squeal) and mis-alignment (tossed belt). Make sure the pump brackets are all present and tight. Pump shouldn't be able to flop around.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And welcome to classicbroncos too by the way am!

Paul