• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering problem

adunham

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed this morning that my steering wheel had acquired a "detent" right in the center of its sweep. Turn it right, fine, turn it back to the left, it hits the detent then you put in a little effort to overcome the resistance and it continues the turn. Over the course of the day I noticed it got worse, until these detents appeared throughout the sweep of the steering wheel. When driving, it is unpredictable and extremely difficult to keep on the road as it decides whether it will steer easily or hard at random. I haven't heard any whining, but I did replace the serp belt last week and I removed the steering wheel to put in a new turn signal switch. No puddles on the driveway whatsoever, fluid looked a little low, but again, I don't see any leaks. 37" tires, BTW. Bad pump? Bad box? Ideas?

thanks,

-aaron

Last edited:

Sounds exactly like what happened to me last week. Read my post below.

Turns out my u-joint is frozen up on the drivers side fron axle. Won't move at all. Took both axles out, and even the passengers side is froze up in one direction as well.

Let me know what you find out. It's definitely a possibility for you.

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70710

kuch68

Loc.
Waterford, MI
It is also possible that the belt over the last week as stretched slightly. I would recheck the tension on the belt and adjust if needed. The gradual worsening sounds like the belt may be slipping slightly.

OP
OP
adunham

adunham

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I guess it was low fluid. I drained the reservoir, refilled it, did lock to lock about 15 times, and topped it to the fill line. It operates correctly now. I still don't see any leaks, though.

-aaron