• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering set up for a 170/200 I 6 My freind needs help

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
What is a good vehichle (donor) to convert to power steering for a 170/200 Inline 6. Thanks in advance.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Search the tech section for the power steering. There are lots of options. Cost is generally inversely proportional to the amount of work/fabrcation needed to install. The more you spend the more easy bolt on it is, the more you can fab parts the less it can cost. Don't know your skill/price levels so I can't help further there.

The only thing special about doing it to an I6 is the pump mounting will be different and the hoses may need to be different length. But all the steering stuff is the same for both the I6 and the V8 chassis.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Stock EB power steering will be your only bolt on option. Lots of other things can be made to work depending on how many brackets you want to buy or how much fabrication you want to do. Easiest way - get an EB power steering setup and the I6 pump bracket from BC Broncos.

OP
OP
shamu

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Stock EB power steering will be your only bolt on option. Lots of other things can be made to work depending on how many brackets you want to buy or how much fabrication you want to do. Easiest way - get an EB power steering setup and the I6 pump bracket from BC Broncos.

My friend is on a tight budget so he wants the lesser way out. Thank you my blue furry finger friend. ;)

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Cheapest would be the F100 conversion. You can get the box for about $50 and make your own reinforcement plate. I've done this conversion for less than $200, but it took a few weekends to get all the holes drilled, everything lined up, and everything plumbed. Would have been ten times easier just to bolt in a stock setup, but as you mention, cost was a factor.

OP
OP
shamu

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Cheapest would be the F100 conversion. You can get the box for about $50 and make your own reinforcement plate. I've done this conversion for less than $200, but it took a few weekends to get all the holes drilled, everything lined up, and everything plumbed. Would have been ten times easier just to bolt in a stock setup, but as you mention, cost was a factor.

BTW did you see that your city made Forbes Magazine. I call BS on the article. The few people that I know whom live there are very nice an happy to be there. And no I do not sucribe to that mag, the article was in the Dallas paper.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I miss out an a chance to meet Steve Forbes last night, he came to my University. I worked on the Bronco too long, so my buddy met him instead.

I've looked everywhere for brackets for the I6 and power steering for mine and determined that BC is the best way to go. I even searched out vintage mustang websites since the brackets work. Stick with BC. They had some alignment issues, so I called and asked them about this. They changed who they were getting the brackets from and the problem is fixed. Sometimes you can find brackets on ebay, as recommended by Explorer, but they are rare and expensive mostly http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200440596786&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Forgot to mention, one more inexpensive way is to find the brackets from any I6 car with power steering in a salvage yard. The Ford Mustang, Maverick, Granada, Fairmont, plus Mercury Comet, Mercury Zephyr, and Mercury Monarch should work as long as they had a 200 I6 and PS.

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I did this on mine for around $200. You can use different boxes. I chooose the f150 2wd box and got my pulleys of ebay, brackets from bc. How soon is he going to do this as my stuff will be up for sale come summer.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Forgot to mention, one more inexpensive way is to find the brackets from any I6 car with power steering in a salvage yard. The Ford Mustang, Maverick, Granada, Fairmont, plus Mercury Comet, Mercury Zephyr, and Mercury Monarch should work as long as they had a 200 I6 and PS.

Yep. Beat me to it. I had a bronco with maverick brackets and it had the 4x4x2 box on it. You will also need the crank pulley from whatever donor you decide on.