• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Preferred Alternator to use for upgrade

tampabronco

Looking at either the the 92 Taurus or 95 explorer. If anyone has any experience or suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance

stock 76 w/ 302 .

Last edited:

4WHLFUN

Contributor
I'm using 94 mustang 130a. Buy the painless wiring 3g conversion kit. Easy install.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
If you really need 130 amps, your gonna have belt squeal running V-belts in the stock configuration. I would say The preferred alternator is the 4G along with the complete Explorer front dress upgrade.

Mark

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Apples and oranges

The Explorer alternator is a great choice, if doing the complete explorer accessory drive. It only works with the explorer drive. Part of the package.

The 3G alternator is also a great choice, If running a stock type belt drive. Get the correct version and it will bolt in. But there are a lot of versions, small case, large case, 90A, 130A, and mounting feet in all sorts of places. What do you really need? A 90A is 50% more than stock and has a much better chance of being happy with the stock V-belt. The 130A sounds better, and you can get it to be a bolt in as well. It is happy on a serpentine belt, but tends to be a fight on a single V-belt requiring the correct magic mix of the right brand of belt and the just right size of pulley that is hard to find. The amp ratings are just max, they are both throttled down to only put out what is needed for the loads.

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

I found a 90 amp at NAPA and working on the wiring harness part of it. I'm hoping it solves my overcharging issue with my Sniper efi

Apples and oranges

The Explorer alternator is a great choice, if doing the complete explorer accessory drive. It only works with the explorer drive. Part of the package.

The 3G alternator is also a great choice, If running a stock type belt drive. Get the correct version and it will bolt in. But there are a lot of versions, small case, large case, 90A, 130A, and mounting feet in all sorts of places. What do you really need? A 90A is 50% more than stock and has a much better chance of being happy with the stock V-belt. The 130A sounds better, and you can get it to be a bolt in as well. It is happy on a serpentine belt, but tends to be a fight on a single V-belt requiring the correct magic mix of the right brand of belt and the just right size of pulley that is hard to find. The amp ratings are just max, they are both throttled down to only put out what is needed for the loads.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I prefer the small case 90 amp unit myself but i am still running v-belts it came out of the ford Areostar.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'92 Areostar with 3.0 will get you a bolt up 90A. Change the pulley with your old V-belt. The adjuster arm threads are metric, so a different bolt there. Otherwise a bolt up and line up to the original 1G alternator that came with it.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
'92 Areostar with 3.0 will get you a bolt up 90A. Change the pulley with your old V-belt. The adjuster arm threads are metric, so a different bolt there. Otherwise a bolt up and line up to the original 1G alternator that came with it.
am not sure the 1G (our reg ol bronks) isa 3G up grade on that vulcan 3.0 v6, may B I just cant read (ur post)?

67 Halfcab

👆

Not only does the Explorer front dress swap give you a better alternator, it also gives you a factory clutch fan that fits in our engine bay and can really suck a lot of air through the radiator!