• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Preserve vin

joshua

Contributor
I have read the horror stories on not being able to register ones bronco because the vin cannot be found on the frame.

I found mine but it’s kinda hard to read. Looks better in real life, but not much . There wasn’t any rust scale on that part of the frame really. It really didn’t seem to have much surface rust. I just wire brushed by hand just enough to make it out. I’m worried I will scratch it off if I go much more.

Question is, what’s the best route to clean it all the way up without erasing it? And I won’t be pulling the body off anytime soon. So do just clean it up more and rattle can it? Or use some sort of rust converter, then paint that small area? If anyone has delt with this same sort of situation and you found something that worked, I would love to hear it.

I’m up in Minnesota bur the truck won’t see winter salt again if that matters In This situation. Here is a picture

Attachments

• 28962215-479F-45B9-BB5E-84EEC215C529.jpeg
    28962215-479F-45B9-BB5E-84EEC215C529.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 50

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You won't scratch it off. I lightly sand mine, wipe some black paint across with a rag to highlight the VIN and then tape the VIN off so that its not covered when I paint the frame. Then, lastly, I spray a coat of clear over the VIN. That makes it stand out and so easy to find and read that even Ray Charles can.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
You won't scratch it off. I lightly sand mine, wipe some black paint across with a rag to highlight the VIN and then tape the VIN off so that its not covered when I paint the frame. Then, lastly, I spray a coat of clear over the VIN. That makes it stand out and so easy to find and read that even Ray Charles can.
Sounds good. I was watching a video and the guy was using a brass brush in order not to wear it down. I didn’t think a wire brush could scratch it off by hand. Video just made me paranoid I guess. Thank you.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
There is some type of acid that is commonly used to eat corrosion and crap off to help read the VIN #'s. I asked a WSP guy who said this is what the Patrol does when inspecting frames. He didn't know what type it was.