• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pressure plate to Flywheel (cant start bolts)

Cstrom72

I have installed plenty of clutches but I am having a hard time this particular one on my 1974 Bronco 302.

I am installing an Ax15 kit from WH, Its a brand new flywheel from them, brand new Centerforce clutch and brand new pressure plate bolts. I have the clutch alignment tool in and centered, all the holes line up but the bolts are not long enough to get in the threads on the flywheel. I have them in the correct holes, I can get them in without the clutch disc in but not with it. I also installed a new pilot bearing (came with the kit and is seated all the way and would not cause any interference at this point anyway)

In clutches I have installed in the past you can get them started and work your way around in intervals until they are snug and then hit them with final torque spec.

Any ideas? Should I install longer bolts to compress the springs and then replace with the correct shouldered bolts ? Kind of at a loss and my shoulders are burning from holding that pressure plate up haha.

My 74 was an Automatic that i am converting to Manual. I also have a 71 Bronco here which is apart down to the frame that I just removed the factory style clutch and bell-housing from. I compared bolt lengths from the factory 3 finger clutch assembly and the new ones i have are longer.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well sorry about that Cstrom. As we like to say in the aftermarket world "never hear of that happening before"%)
But that's usually because it's true. Just like in this case. Not sure I remember anyone saying that here on the forums, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with the longer bolt to start things idea.
But it still worries me that you're having the issue in the first place. I was going to ask if you had the 5/16" or 3/8" bolts, but you have already said that they fit the flywheel without the clutch installed, so that's ruled out.

What about the clutch disc being in the correct orientation? Sounds like you know your way around a clutch install, but I had to ask. Wouldn't be the first time putting one on backwards stymied someone. You did verify that the "faces flywheel" side was facing that way, correct?
And what do they use these days, a stamping in the disc or a decal? If a decal, could they have put it on the wrong side? Did you already try flipping it over to see what difference it made?

I do know that diaphragm type clutches do need to be pulled down some (like you said) but still don't remember anyone saying that they had to use longer bolts than what was supplied.
Sorry I don't have the definitive answer for you. And of course it's a weekend, so no answer from other WH folks today. But with luck someone here will have had the same issue and solved it with zero drama.

Good luck.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
If the pressure plate is THAT close to its own mounting surface, then it may not travel far enough to release if you mash it down onto the clutch. I'd try the longer bolts to start, then switch to the shorter (supplied) bolts, BUT:
- I wouldn't tighten the short bolts without checking that the pressure plate is still free to travel into the cover. IOW: don't bend the diaphragm beyond where it can go.
- I'd rig up the pedal linkage BEFORE installing the trans to make sure it will release.

Sherlock

I just installed the Luk clutch kit from Tom's bronco (new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, alignment tool). I mistakenly tried to use the factory bolts which were too short and not the right size to bolt into the new flywheel. I had to make a quick trip to the hardware store for some 3/8 x 1 inch bolts with lock washers which fit the new flywheel perfectly. I don't recall seeing the larger bolts that were supposed to be part of the kit however my organizational skills leave a lot to be desired so I might have missed/lost them.