• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

preventing rusty bolts

BD

Loc.
Westfield,MA
Is there anyway way to keep bolts from rusting out besides going to stainless steel?

can you coat them with something that would prevent this and yet still allow you to thread them together without wearing off?

I know that once together you could por15 or RB them, but it seems that would cause more problems of ever having to take the bolt out again?

also i had some stainless steel hardware that would seize up, had to use the torch to get them out which is hard to do because of the melting point, is there anyway to prevent this?

sorry for all the questions, but i really don't want my rig looking great but the bolts looking crappy and rust out!

Brian

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There is antisize paste you can use. its a high temp metallic grease or you can also use silicone gaskit sealant. this will work too just smear it on the bolt and threads and screw it in and wipe off the excess. If you use the silicone you have to clean off all the oils, grease and dirt from the bolt. After breaking off bolts removing a timing cover once. I learned bolts get rusty in confined spaces and need protection too. another bolt to coat in silicone is intake manifold bolts. I use antisize on any threads screwing into aluminium or stainless steel.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I've had alot of experience with antisieze compound (molybdenum disfulfide)(sp?), and the stuff really works well. It comes in both paste and spray on forms. It does not come out in the wash, be careful of what your wearing.
It should be considered mandatory to use whenever aluminum parts are involved,

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Any bolt that isn't loc-tited on my Bronco is slathered with anti-sleeze. I use some MIL-STD anti-seeze stuff available through aircraft parts suppliers.

OP
OP
B

BD

Loc.
Westfield,MA
thanks guys,

i will look into getting some of that stuff!.

So, after apply this stuff, bolts come out relatively easy and aren't rusted to heck.!

thanks sound like just what im looking for!

Brian

is it something that you can get local? i know i can get the silicon gaskets local but what about the other stuff?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
you can get a small tube at any auto parts store. better stores have it in cans also.