• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

problems using the search feature on this site

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
is it just me or does the search feature on this site just not work very well. i can punch in certain things i want to search knowing that i read them on this site and it comes up with nothing. how can it not even pickup part of what i am searching by just the words i am using in the search. i have tried even the options too and come up short. tell if i am the only one or am i doing something wrong.

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
it took some practice for me to figure how descriptive to be in my searches. Adding or removing one word can make a huge difference too. Even then it seems like you still have to sift through the results to find the answer your looking for. And alot depends on how people have spelled their words in old posts. Carb vs. carburetor is a good example. Hope I helped some.

OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i am on other vehicle forums and there search features work so much better. you can just put in lets say i was looking for a specific transmission. enter the name only and hit search and it would come up with a good amount of posts or threads with that transmission either titled to a post or used in a post or thread. this one always seems to come up blank. i was just following the ax-15 conversion thread here and just figured it was easier to just search for it than to know exactly what section it was in and have to go through many pages to find it. i punched in ax-15 and it comes up with nothing. how can that be. that type of search sucks in my opinion.

OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
wow so i guess it is me. or is it that everyone is afraid to say something. not looking to start trouble here but just try and figure out if i am doing something wrong. i can't see how but you never know. maybe someone from this site like a moderator can explain it.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
The thread doesn't contain "ax-15". It contains "AX 15" (no dash). Unfortunately, you can't search for words that are shorter than three letters (without using a wildcard). But, you also knew that the word "conversion" was in the title. So, just do a search for "conversion" and make sure that you "search titles only", and voilia, you come up with this:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160355&highlight=conversion

Yes, it isn't the most extensive search engine - there are many out there that require absolutely no thought whatsoever. But, it gets the job done - sometimes you just have to think some.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Devin is correct. It's because your search terms are only 2 characters. The search doesn't recognize words that short. Unfortunately it's just a limitation of the MySQL search engine. Similar problem with terms like AOD, D44, C4, C6, etc.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the other site you said has a good search feature I'd like to look at it.

As he mentioned if you know a longer word in the post then you can search that way. Also, if you use wildcards it can help. A search for AX* for example brings up a list of threads, including the one you're looking for. Adding more words helps too. Example: AX* transmission

There are some previous questions on searches in the Test & Help forum with other tips also: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2413607

OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i have tried many was to search for a thread but no luck. i also was looking for the thread that someone hear wrote that they bought the overhauling bronco and i think i punched in the exact title and it came up saying it could not find anything. the other forum that i go on is cal-look.com it's a vw forum. i know sometimes that if you don't use enough words in the title your searching for it comes up saying that you did not use enough words or it's to short. maybe there are some settings on this forum i have not set up or something who knows. i am going to try something to search for that i know and see what happens.

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
If you could post an example or two of the words you're trying to find I can probably give some pointers.

The problem with the Overhauling thread is that it's actually "overhaulin" (without the g at the end) So if you search for "overhauling" you won't find the thread because that's not actually the word used.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Didn't read this whole thread Marty , but Admin and others pretty much stated what I have to say. "Once you figure out how desciptive you have to be ...." it becomes easier.

Even at that , I tried , foolishly , to search "GM TBI" the other day .... yeah , right ....

It can be frustrating.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Marty, use search to find problems using search! ;D

I'm with ya Marty! I have a difficult time even finding my old threads with terms that I know exist and do exist and sill get Sorry - no matches.

After trying to find something for hours you ask a question and someone will flame you with, "Use search you lazy bastard! That has already been discussed!" Sorry!!! I just not a SQL expert.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I had trouble using the search function at first myself! It does take some getting used too, so that being said, why do some people continuously Haze the newbies for not using it to find simple things? My guess is that they did try using it but gave up on it and asked a very repetitive question!

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Dave, as I asked Marty, why don't you give us some examples of searches you've had trouble with and we can help out with tips?

Also, I find it very rare on this site that people tell newbies to use the search, especially as rudely as you suggest.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, I find it very rare on this site that people tell newbies to use the search, especially as rudely as you suggest.

Actually, the members seem to be quite a bit more tollerent and polite about that than they used to be. Its always dissapointing to get on a forum because you are searching for information and be flamed by someone that seems to be seriously annoyed by the fact that a question was asked that had been previousle discussed. Either STFU or give the guy a link the info. Maybe tell him what to search for.

I use search a lot and often find what I'm looking for but only because I know exactly what words or phrase were used in the post. Lots of frustration trying to use it to find things otherwise. Often too many pages of results and not enough time to look search through every one.

broncodude7

I know I was having the same trouble. Until you mention the * trick after the word or item being searched. Maybe install a quick note or added short cuts to the search page to help out the Newbies. I think that would help out a lot. Instead of chasing our tails half of the time. ;D

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I use search a lot and often find what I'm looking for but only because I know exactly what words or phrase were used in the post. Lots of frustration trying to use it to find things otherwise. Often too many pages of results and not enough time to look search through every one.
Again, if you post specifics I can probably help with future searches. As with any forum you're still limited to finding what's being discussed. So if you search for a word not in the discussion you won't find it. There's no way around that.

But if your issue is that you're just getting too many results then there are ways to help filter out the ones you're looking for. I just need to know an example of what you've looked for and can't find.

OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i don't know but to me if i have to put in almost the exact thing i am searching for it is just way to time consuming and defeats the purpose of the search feature. why does it kick back things like if you used or did not use caps, or a dash between a word or such. like i said before i use other forums and they just don't seem this sensitive. i am not trying to put down a site that has been more than helpful to me and others but i think it could be all that and more if this feature was tuned a bit better. i know it's not that easy but it would be more than helpful.

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
i am not trying to put down a site that has been more than helpful to me and others but i think it could be all that and more if this feature was tuned a bit better. i know it's not that easy but it would be more than helpful.
I totally understand. Hopefully I'm not coming across as defensive. I just need specifics in order to help.

For the most part the search is what it is. I didn't write the software so I can't really do much to improve or change the coding. The best I can do is help teach people how the system works and how to better use it.

i don't know but to me if i have to put in almost the exact thing i am searching for it is just way to time consuming and defeats the purpose of the search feature.
I don't really follow you here. If you don't know what word is in the post then how would the search engine find it? If you type "disk brakes" but the actual spelling is "disc brakes" then the search simply won't find it. It will find posts with brakes, but not disk since it's spelled incorrectly.

why does it kick back things like if you used or did not use caps, or a dash between a word or such.
Caps shouldn't matter at all. You should get the same result regardless of capital letters. If you can give an example of where it does I'll try to look into it.

Using a dash does matter. It's just like a letter. So doing a search for "o ring" will get different results than "o-ring". To me that makes sense since they are not the same word. The VW site you mentioned treats dashes the same way.

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Here's a tip that should help if you're getting too many results, especially if you're using multiple search words.

Try using "Show Posts" instead of "Show Threads". (When you click on the search on the top of the page there are two options below where you type in your search term)

"Show Posts" will limit the results to individual posts instead of the entire thread. The "Show Threads" option means that it will look over the entire thread to find results regardless of how spread out the words are.

Example: Say your search term is "explorer brakes". If you use the "Show Threads" style search (the default) then you'll find threads where someone in one post may have used the word "explorer" and then someone later in that same thread used the word "brakes". But that doesn't necessarily mean the thread was about "explorer brakes" Just that somewhere in the whole conversation those two words showed up.

But if you use the "Show Posts" option then the results you get will only be specific posts that have both of those words in them. This is much more likely to give you results that are actually about "explorer brakes"

OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
Here's a tip that should help if you're getting too many results, especially if you're using multiple search words.

Try using "Show Posts" instead of "Show Threads". (When you click on the search on the top of the page there are two options below where you type in your search term)

"Show Posts" will limit the results to individual posts instead of the entire thread. The "Show Threads" option means that it will look over the entire thread to find results regardless of how spread out the words are.

Example: Say your search term is "explorer brakes". If you use the "Show Threads" style search (the default) then you'll find threads where someone in one post may have used the word "explorer" and then someone later in that same thread used the word "brakes". But that doesn't necessarily mean the thread was about "explorer brakes" Just that somewhere in the whole conversation those two words showed up.

But if you use the "Show Posts" option then the results you get will only be specific posts that have both of those words in them. This is much more likely to give you results that are actually about "explorer brakes"
i will try that. thank you for atleast giving a damn about my issues with the search feature. glad to see someone in administration is paying attention to us here that use thisa great site. thanks again.

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
If you are wanting to search short words like TBI, D20, oil etc (or anything else for that matter) the best way to do it is through Google. Enter your search word or words with a space after then site:www.classicbroncos.com That will search those terms only on this site. So looking for threads with AOD use the following string in Google.

aod site:www.classicbroncos.com

Last edited: