• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.
  • PASSWORD RESET - When the forum software got updated on 12/9/21, some of the passwords did not get transfered over. If you need to reset your password please click here and enter the email address you have associated with your forum username.
    If that doesn't work or you no longer have access to your old email please contact Admin.

Propane Broncos - Who is running one? Why not?

TAC71

Contributor
I have been running propane on my bronco since 1991. Absolutely love it.... but back in the day propane was 1/10 the price of gas. According to my calculations propane must be about 30% cheaper than gas to breakeven dollar wise. Where I live it currently is about 40%, but it has been near equal pricewise a few times.
I drive my Bronco everywhere ...from Canada to AZ,CA,NV or wherever there is a Bronco event on the west side. I carry 36 gallons of fuel. I get about 10-11 mpg on the highway. So my range is good, but if it were gas it would mean more range.
The simplicity, the reliability, the way it works on and off road makes me want to keep it. The occasional hassle getting it in the U.S. can be a pain, especially at night.
I'm pretty sure if I ever have to replace the tanks I would then scrap the propane and fuel inject it. Replacing the tanks would cost more than a holley sniper.

martinphoto

Did some research on this awhile back. The engine has to be built to a higher compression to take advantage of it. Something along those lines. Probably can find that info at the gotpropane website.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
I have had a lot of experience with methane gas. I don't mind it but the wife doesn't like it at all.
Maybe if you quit pulling the bed-sheets up over the both of you?
I'm jest sayin', is all.......
;D

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi,

I agree, the 10 gallon would be too small. I was looking into tank sizes last night. 21-30 gal are readily available. I'll have to weigh all the issues and options until I decide to go this route or not.

I'll use the F100 as a test mule to see if this is a good option, or, a pain in the ass.

Have you made a decision, or done any more research?

I can share some pics of a manifold type tank that I installed in our Bronco. Let me know if you are interested.

Take Care,

Jeff

Iverslokken

I have been running propane on my bronco since 1991. Absolutely love it.... but back in the day propane was 1/10 the price of gas. According to my calculations propane must be about 30% cheaper than gas to breakeven dollar wise. Where I live it currently is about 40%, but it has been near equal pricewise a few times.
I drive my Bronco everywhere ...from Canada to AZ,CA,NV or wherever there is a Bronco event on the west side. I carry 36 gallons of fuel. I get about 10-11 mpg on the highway. So my range is good, but if it were gas it would mean more range.
The simplicity, the reliability, the way it works on and off road makes me want to keep it. The occasional hassle getting it in the U.S. can be a pain, especially at night.
I'm pretty sure if I ever have to replace the tanks I would then scrap the propane and fuel inject it. Replacing the tanks would cost more than a holley sniper.
Hello, where is your propane tank on your Bronco ?