• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Push Button start.

abielenberg

Loc.
Parker, CO
Well i decided to do a push button start on my '70. I have it all wired up and working. The only thing is that i decided to keep my key ignition switch so that i could take my key when i park it somewhere for a while and no one will be able to start it. The only problem im having is finding a place to hide the key. I was thinking of under the seat or in the glove box. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas or pictures of your set ups. Thanks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If they want your bronco they will start it key or no key. I'd get one of those little magnectic key boxes and stick it under the dash. or else wear out of site maybe even in the fresh air vent.
Most thiefs look in the glove box and under the seat as lots of people put stuff in both places. Most of the cars I've seen that were broken into have had the glove box opened and contents thrown about.

OP
OP
A

abielenberg

Loc.
Parker, CO
If they want your bronco they will start it key or no key. I'd get one of those little magnectic key boxes and stick it under the dash. or else wear out of site maybe even in the fresh air vent.
Most thiefs look in the glove box and under the seat as lots of people put stuff in both places. Most of the cars I've seen that were broken into have had the glove box opened and contents thrown about.

No im trying to figure out where to put the ignition switch. I want that hidden so all you see is the 3 switches and the button to start the bronco.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
They have got some really badass remote start systems that you can wire up to to olny let the person who has the key fob on them (like 2 feet away) to use the start button. google "remote start" and have fun.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I've installed a push button start and I also installed a "round-key" switch instead of keeping the stock key switch. Frankly, I never use it. I've found I keep it on all the time - it simply controls the power to the master switch. I agree if someone really wants to steal it they will find a way. But just having no key and a bunch of unmarked switches keeps the joy-riders from messing with it. I intentionally did not hide the round key switch as you can see in the pic.

Attachments

• DSC02537.JPG
    DSC02537.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 246

shonivey

if you can fab a little bracket and tuck it behind the dash . put it in the ashtray , they may look for the key there but would'nt think to reach in and push the button. may not be feasible..but a thought.

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i had mine pushed back into the dash and left it hanging down enought to see the key because i knew it was there

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The common street rod trick is to mount the key/switch on the bottom lip of the dash. Insert the key vertically. Keeps all the wiring behind the dash, easy to reach, with the key removed there is little to nothing to see.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well thats different. Dont know that I'd really go through all the trouble of trying to move the switch. As in the end you'll probably get tired of having to find it yourself.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
When I did my overlay i decided to just use one of the holes under the dash for the steering column. The round key switches fit right in there. I plan to put a push button in eventually but keep the key as a step in the system.

OP
OP
A

abielenberg

Loc.
Parker, CO
I've installed a push button start and I also installed a "round-key" switch instead of keeping the stock key switch. Frankly, I never use it. I've found I keep it on all the time - it simply controls the power to the master switch. I agree if someone really wants to steal it they will find a way. But just having no key and a bunch of unmarked switches keeps the joy-riders from messing with it. I intentionally did not hide the round key switch as you can see in the pic.

So im having some trouble trying to figure out how to wire everything up. Ill be running toggle switches foreverything like the ACC, IGN. How did you wire yours up or do you have a wiring Diagram. I pulled my ignition switch out to try and figure out how to run everything. I put it back in until i figured out how and now the bronco wont even turn over or do anything. like the switch doesnt work any more.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So im having some trouble trying to figure out how to wire everything up. Ill be running toggle switches foreverything like the ACC, IGN. How did you wire yours up or do you have a wiring Diagram. I pulled my ignition switch out to try and figure out how to run everything. I put it back in until i figured out how and now the bronco wont even turn over or do anything. like the switch doesnt work any more.

What accessories will you run off the switch (or switches), how do you want them to activate (with ign, with ign & acc), and do you have the switches picked out yet?

Attachments

• ign sw.jpg
    ign sw.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 37
  • ignition sw 2.jpg
    ignition sw 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
A

abielenberg

Loc.
Parker, CO
What accessories will you run off the switch (or switches), how do you want them to activate (with ign, with ign & acc), and do you have the switches picked out yet?

I'm going to be running a separate toggle for IGN, and one for ACC. I just need to know how to wire them up. How to get power to both and so on. Im just confused right now. I bet its easy, im just getting frusturated with it.

OP
OP
A

abielenberg

Loc.
Parker, CO
I was hoping i could just take the wires from the back of the ignition switch and run them through the switches. All i want to do is have a switch for everything and a button to start but still have the ignition switch with the key. Im planning on hiding the old ignition switch.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm going to be running a separate toggle for IGN, and one for ACC. I just need to know how to wire them up. How to get power to both and so on. Im just confused right now. I bet its easy, im just getting frusturated with it.

I just used 1 master switch without a separate ACC switch. It's pretty easy. I did it without a wiring diagram - just a test light. I did incorporate a relay so that all the power does not go through the switch. I would highly recommend using a relay.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I was hoping i could just take the wires from the back of the ignition switch and run them through the switches. All i want to do is have a switch for everything and a button to start but still have the ignition switch with the key. Im planning on hiding the old ignition switch.

Easy. You'll have to turn the key switch ON in order to use the other switches. The red-green and green-red wires need to go to on terminal of the new ignition toggle. The other terminal needs to go back to the old ignition switch where those wires came from. For the push button switch connect the red-blue wire(s) to one terminal and connect the other terminal to the same place on the old switch that the red-green and green-red wires are attached. This will allow the starter to work only when the key switch is ON. The stud terminal on the back of the old switch sends switched power to any accessories and part of the fusebox. These wires need to be run through a relay. You can activate the relay with the new ignition toggle or another toggle or you can leave them attached to the old switch.

OP
OP
A

abielenberg

Loc.
Parker, CO
Thanks for your Help Viperwolf. That is exactly what i needed. Im going to want to run the ACC through a toggle switch so i can leave the key in on the "ON" position so i dont have to turn the key every time i get in. So i cant just hook the ACC cable up to a toggle and leave it on or do i need a relay to power them.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks for your Help Viperwolf. That is exactly what i needed. Im going to want to run the ACC through a toggle switch so i can leave the key in on the "ON" position so i dont have to turn the key every time i get in. So i cant just hook the ACC cable up to a toggle and leave it on or do i need a relay to power them.

You can get by without a relay for the ACC if you split the fusebox power off and leave it attached to the key switch. Remember it's also powering the fusebox and everything connected to it like turn signals, heater blower, wipers, etc.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Big. Probably 40 amps continuous, maybe more depending on what other accessories you've added.