• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

q-jet -kickdown

dash8mx

Anyone have any pictures or a description of how you hook up the transmission linkage to a q- jet carb/ I have needed to fix this for too long and would like to tackle it this week thanks. Specs 302, c-4 , q-jet

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Since the linkage on the quadra jet sits more to the front of the engine than the stock 302 most people add a strip of metal to the stock kick down rod with a slot cut in it and an extended bolt through the linkage. the bolt goes through the slot for 3/4 of throttle and then contacts the end of the slot an pushes the rod down making the down shift. you can hook a spring around the down shift tube at the back of the engine and hook it to one of the carb bolts to keep the rod pulled foreward. this is how i did it on a friends truck. My personal truck I skipped this through lazyness and hooked a spring to the lever on the trans and hooked the other end to the exhaust flange and didnt hook up th down shift rod. I just pull the the trany lever on the steering column when I want to override the tranny. it does the same thing except instead of releasing the gas to up shift I have to do it manually. it is rare that I used throttle down shift so it is no big loss to me.