• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

quality of 50oz 164 tooth flywheel

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
One of the best engine machine shops in the area here (highly recommended by several race car builders I know) charges $48.00 to resurface a flywheel.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ox, I've had no issues at all with the Pioneer brand aftermarket flywheels. I know they are made in China but Pioneer has a long-standing reputation for attention to quality, so they avoid selling junk under their brand.

Otherwise, I use Centerforce flywheels, but those are $$, as you know.

All the automotive machine shops around me closed up. I've accumulated most of an automotive machine shop in my own machine shop, thanks to auctions mostly, but not a flywheel grinder. Yet. Most recent addition to my "collection" was this....

Attachments

• brake lathe 3.jpg
    brake lathe 3.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 23

croft75

i just picked up a LUK partNumber LFW116 for $108 ( Canadian) looks like good quality. I have had 2 LUk clutches in my vehicles and never had a problem
Since all the used ons were $30-$100 + it $60 to be resurfaced it didn't make sensense to get used

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good price and a good product. I would expect you'll be fine with it for a long time to come. They've been one of our go-to brands for many years now.

...did Jim just recommend a 28 ounce imbalance flywheel as a replacement or substitute for a 50 ounce imbalance flywheel?

Rats. I almost jumped in to comment on that myself, but wanted to go to the Centerforce site to get the actual part number for it first. But then... squirrel!!!
Thought I'd cover it with a "he was only talking about the brand" kind of thing:cool:. Seems plausible anyway.%)

But yes, you're right. We generally only carry a Centerforce with the 28.2 oz imbalance in stock at least semi-regularly. Might be habit, might be price, or it might be that nobody has ever asked us for the 50oz one yet. The price point makes the other brands way more popular.

The correct CF number is 700242 for the 50oz version and it's even more money than the 28oz version we list.

He's working on the next catalog already, so I'm not going to be the one to disturb him. But you can if you want...;);D

Paul

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
I'm not normally down on Wild Horses, but did Jim just recommend a 28 ounce imbalance flywheel as a replacement or substitute for a 50 ounce imbalance flywheel?

I got what he meant, suspect he just meant that this one was US made.

Holy Schmoly! I had mine done a couple years ago when I replaced my clutch and fairly certain NAPA only charged $20 or so.

Welcome to NJ, not much left here in respect to machinists.......... (good one's anyway)

Ox, I've had no issues at all with the Pioneer brand aftermarket flywheels. I know they are made in China but Pioneer has a long-standing reputation for attention to quality, so they avoid selling junk under their brand.

Otherwise, I use Centerforce flywheels, but those are $$, as you know.

All the automotive machine shops around me closed up. I've accumulated most of an automotive machine shop in my own machine shop, thanks to auctions mostly, but not a flywheel grinder. Yet. Most recent addition to my "collection" was this....

Thanks Bill, looks like that one can be had for a relatively decent price too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Aut...94?hash=item19fe21e512:i:111637816594&vxp=mtr

NICE!!! score on the lathe.........Lucky by me, many still cut rotors for 30-40 for a set, but if they didn't, I'd be looking for one those too.

Did just grab a used hunter alignment system which seems to work well on my 4 post. All the newer stuff is 4 wheel ind and most shops only care if it is in spec, not "correct". Mind boggling what some of the manufacturers call in spec, +/- .75 camber, UGH!!! (and don't get me started on rear camber specs, ever see a new BMW X5, gotta be 4-5 neg camber %)).

i just picked up a pLUK artNumber LFW116 for $108 ( Canadian) looks like good quality. I have had 2 LUk clutches in my vehicles and never had a problem
Since all the used ons were $30-$100 + it $60 to be resurfaced it didn't make sensense to get used

Looks like Rock auto has that one for $49, definately the lowest price I have seen on any of these flywheels (not sure if that is good or bad). I've have been looking hard at this PRW.

https://www.prw-usa.com/product/163...-351w-1963-1995-50oz-balance-32-lbs-164-teeth

Still chinese, but Billet, SFI rated. Overkill by all means for my app (but since when did that ever stop me ;D), but a real good price if I'm not going for the 50-80$ cheapies.

http://www.amazon.com/PRW-1630282-S...kcompar-20&ascsubtag=567d048948308f0570c992d2

Not sure how much I like the bolt on weights and oddly amazon seems to indicate this one is 28 oz, even though PRW claims for 63-95? (which includes both balances)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The one through Amazon may just be without the removable weight? Would explain why they list the same part number as 28oz and only through '79. Instead of 50oz and through '95 like the manufacturer does.
The only way they can list it for a 351 and as 50oz is with that removable weight.

Not sure that the removable counterweight is an issue, but like you I think it's something to at least be aware of. As long as you use thread locker (assuming it's a bolt-on?) you should be fine.
We sell harmonic dampers with removable weights too, and I've never heard of an issue or failure with them.
Would be interesting to see how the one on the flywheel is attached. Doesn't mention it in the instructions.

Either way though, looks like a real nice unit.

Just looked at our inventory and only the 28oz units included LuK. We'll look into carrying the LuK 50oz when the other Paul comes back next week.
Maybe it's a price thing, maybe it's been availability, but it would be nice to have a known quality brand available so we don't have to go through this as often.

Paul

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Removable weights and adjustable this, that or the other doesn't work for me! Buy the RIGHT one. Buy a good one. I went through a balance issue and it will drive you crazy. Mine turned out to be an engine problem, but man! I had a flex plate that the PO had drilled out and tried to MAKE work with the small bolt patter converter... I went through hell before I finally found out the crank itself had been torn up at the front end by an apparent harmonic balancer that had exploded and tore up the front of it. I have a rigged up system now with a pressed on balancer (don't trust it) and somewhat balanced out flex plate..... I still have a small vibration over 4,000. I am replacing the tired motor soon and am just getting by for a little while. There is no wobble or any major shaking or anything like that. Nobody except me can feel any vibration at all, but I know the vehicle....