• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about Mufflers

sumpunker

Loc.
Cincinnati
Im lookin into getting a new mufflers i think im gonna get flow masters i want something loud when you get on the gas and not so loud off the gas because i do alot of street driving so i donno if glass backs would be to loud so is there a web site or how do i go about hearing the difference between all the mufflers any help would be great

thanks
shawn

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Glasspacks arent all that bad as people make them out to be, at least IMO.I have glasspacks on both my 73 and my 90 and I love the sound. When I bought my 90 it had a true dual setup with flows, and it was loader than just about anything out there. Its all really a matter of opinion. Flowmaster has alot of different options for sound, or look into some Supertrapp's

Last edited:

BlackHorse

Flows are loud. There are different flows too, some louder than others. I swithed to a turbo no name brand it's not as loud but still makes good noise when you get on it.

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
I use Flows and love 'em. Maybe my neighbors don't, but its some of the only pollution we're still allowed here :-*

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Running flows and the rumble a nice tone and bark when you get on it. Sound great but get old real quick when on a long road trip. I personally am looking into some spintechs for the near future

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I have a set of Borla's that I really like. They sound great, but I agree that it gets a little tiring on long trips. I had to get a louder stereo! I don't have any carpets or Rhinoliner to kill sound, though. Just bare steel. I don't have the firewall mat either.

vegasbronco1

Loc.
Las Vegas, Nevada
I also have the two chamber flows with turndowns before the axle sounds good but its too loud for me. I am looking to get some three chambers and run tail pipes over the axle and exit behind the tires. I had three chambers on my 91 mustang and loved it they produce alot deeper sound than the two chambers. Haven't really experimented with anything else. I have heard alot of mustangs with different set ups and the flowmasters always sounded the best to me.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
flowmaster would work...i went with a semi knock off brand called "V-Force" I have a hooped up 351C running duals out at 45's behind the tires...and with the top off and no doors I can barely here and exhaust over the sound of the engine....but when I stomp on the gas, they tear a hole in the sound barrier. Would I would do is go to a muffler shop and try some differebt ones out...unless you plan to do it yourself. The shop I went to had everything just clamped together and let my try flow master 40's 50's the v-force, glass packs, cherry bombs the whole 9 yards....I ended up with the one I wanted cause they had JUST enough of a difference then flow masters and run about 15$ less a side

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
My 70 has Cherry Bombs bolted up to headers and its loud in an rude way that makes you smile every time you blip the throttle. My 77 is a round muffler thats fairly quiet, when I re-do the exhaust system on both they will end up withspintech mufflers. I dont like the drone of flowmasters at freeway speeds and the overall sound is so...common. My main motivation is to find something solid that dosent sound so flowmaster-ish. I wish they had clips on their site to listen to but others here run spintech and vouch for them and thats good enough for me to give em a try.

OP
OP
sumpunker

sumpunker

Loc.
Cincinnati
I think im leaning more towards something louder because i want something loud (bad Ass Sounding) but quiet on the highway so i guess ill just have to deal with the louder pipes on the highway thanks everyone

71sport408

Loc.
Mandan
Not sure which spintechs you guys are looking at, but I ran the pro-street series for a long time and they droned alot more than my flowmasters. They were pretty loud but that's what I wanted. They definately have a good unique sound too!

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
If you want it loud but quiet on the highway you have to equalize the pressures in both pipes. I put a crossover pipe on the Beast and it made the on-highway noise a lot better. It's still loud as all hell on the street and sets off just about every car alarm. Here's a picture of my setup.

6286IM002027-med.JPG

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
76Broncofromhell said:
If you want it loud but quiet on the highway you have to equalize the pressures in both pipes. I put a crossover pipe on the Beast and it made the on-highway noise a lot better. It's still loud as all hell on the street and sets off just about every car alarm. Here's a picture of my setup.

6286IM002027-med.JPG
I always wondered why you guys were complaining about Flowmasters being so loud on the freeway. I put the H-pipe on when I first put them in so I never heard it. They sound nice when you fire up, and have a nice rumble at lower cruising, but not bad at all on freeway. My setup is very similar to 76Broncofromhell's except I also flanged it to make it easier to take down one side at a time if that is all you needed to do.

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
sounds like the "H" pipe makes a big difference in the highway sound. I also installed the h pipe kit from summit when the system went in, headers, 50 series flowmasters and duals, loud when you get on it but really quiet at cruise.

OP
OP
sumpunker

sumpunker

Loc.
Cincinnati
man just when i think i know what i wanna do lol !!!!!
thanks for all the help !!!

Last edited:

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I run a set of Black Diamond one chambers (Flowmaster knock-offs). I bought them really cheap off of Ebay. When I first had them put on with the exhaust, 2 1/4 from stock manifolds over the axle and 45 to the corners, my engine was stock with the 2bbl, 3.50 gears, and 35's, I thought the pipes were really obnocious and too loud. The engine always seemed in a bog. I swapped in a RV cam, 4bbl intake and carb, seemed to quieten down a touch. Then after the 4.56 gears they really started to tone. Its not loud at all at an idle or cruising. But lay in the 4bbl and the pipes start to talk. Really makes my buds with the 6 banger TJ's and 4 banger Yota's jealous! :cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Exhaust note has a lot of inputs besides mufflers. A long time ago, I had a ’67 stang. Iron manifolds, glasspacks, built motor. You could hear that thing blocks away. Much nicer after the turbo mufflers were installed.
Later I did headers and turbo mufflers on my first bronco, much quieter. It should have been louder, but the engine was much more tame.
The latest issue of hotrod ran a few mufflers and pipes. Same exhaust, same engine, same mufflers, different pipe diameter: 10dB louder at idle with the larger pipes.
So here are the things that tend to make a louder exhaust:
Headers, short runs (exit in front of the rear tires), large pipes, built engines.
For a little more quiet:
Manifolds, full length exhaust, small diameter pipes, stock engines.
The only thing I haven’t figured out is if it is quieter to have the muffler at the front of the exhaust (old cars) or near the rear of the run (new car style).
With that in mind, what I run is a mildly built engine with manifolds into a single 70 series flowmaster under the passenger floor. It can set off alarms if they are on the right side of me. It still sounds good, but is quiet enough that I have many other noise issues to deal with (tires, wind, fan, intake) before I worry that my exhaust is too loud.