• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question for Cadillac Rear Brake Gurus

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
Been messing with my overall brake system to get things tuned up and was digging into the rear brakes that PO had installed (BC Broncos Cadillac rear brake kit).

I noticed when I took off the caliper that the clip as shown in caliper pic below wasn't seated in the "groove" on the piston and instead was only hooked on the pad and the clocking nub on the back of the pad (the clocking nub I'm referring is shown in last pic circled in red). Installed like this, I can't really tell if the clip is getting between the piston surface and pad backing plate, but the rear brakes haven't worked like I want, so working to eliminate all possibilities, even if not likely to be causing an issue.

Question 1: Do I have that correct that the clip goes around the groove in the piston and also hooks over the edge of the pad? (pic below from Caddy manual seems to show that and installed that way would preclude the clip from getting between the piston and pad backing plate)

Question 2: I think the only regret of not installing the clip is the pads might rattle. Opinions?

Not looking for responses of "why not install the clip"! :) I might very well do that, mainly trying to understand how the OEM designed the system, and maybe help the next Bronco owner behind me.

Attachments

• caliper and clip.JPG
    caliper and clip.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 18
  • clips.JPG
    clips.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 20
  • pad.JPG
    pad.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
Took brakes off again to inspect and posting in case useful to others.

Q1: Yes, the clip goes on as I indicated above.

Q2: yes, it is for rattle abatement

The clip was indeed between the piston and pad backing plate and was likely introducing compliance in my rear brakes. Need to put it all back together and finish rest of systems before I know much this was degrading the overall system.

First pic shows how I found the clip installed and is incorrect. Second pic showing wear pattern on pad backing plate showing that it was in load path.

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 5

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You are correct with respect to your original post showing the proper installation, and while I don't know what that change is going to do for the overall compliance, it can only help IMO.

OP
OP
K

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
There is a special way of adjusting those brakes, do you know it?

Yup, sure do, appreciate you double checking. Most people seem to hate the parking brake adjustment, seemed pretty straight forward to me, just takes a few iterations.

You are correct with respect to your original post showing the proper installation, and while I don't know what that change is going to do for the overall compliance, it can only help IMO.

Thanks for confirming. Yeah, not sure about compliance, like you said, it can only help. From my visual of the improper install and also looking at the wear pattern, it doesn’t look like it was pushing square (around the full diameter of the clip). That wouldn’t be great either.

OP
OP
K

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
One more fun fact from reviewing the Cadillac Service Manual, the inboard rear pads are different and there is a left/right side for the wear indicator. Honestly don't think it can matter that much but thought it was interesting they specified this.

@Apogee (think @toddz69 called you the forum brake expert!), do you know if this concept carries over into other OEMs and models?

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 3