• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question for those who have done the Explorer rear disc conversion

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
How did you run your e-brake cable? I'm thinking to use the original e-brake cable and move it outboard of the driver side of the frame, connect it to the explorer cable system and attach the mounts to the frame at appropriate locations, much like the original Explorer set up. I live in Texas, so it only has to work once a year ;)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Mine are the aftermarket Lokar cables that many companies sell but the same theory applies. I run both of mine outside my leaf springs until they pass over the axle housings and then they curve inside the springs and up to a custom piece mounted on the underbody of my truck (stock setup would be similar). I have springs attached to each cable to keep them off the rear springs.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Mine are the aftermarket Lokar cables that many companies sell but the same theory applies. I run both of mine outside my leaf springs until they pass over the axle housings and then they curve inside the springs and up to a custom piece mounted on the underbody of my truck (stock setup would be similar). I have springs attached to each cable to keep them off the rear springs.

Todd Z.
Did you add an e-brake handle in the middle? I will do a search for the Lokar cables. My big concern with the set up is limiting travel of the rear axle.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Did you add an e-brake handle in the middle? I will do a search for the Lokar cables. My big concern with the set up is limiting travel of the rear axle.
Yes, I have an e-brake handle between my front seats. My configuration doesn't come close to limiting the rear wheel travel.

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA

Todd Z.
I'm going to show Todd what I did last week, (nobody else should read this!)

Explorer disc brake caliper mounts installed backwards. Left side on the right, right side on the left. This moves the caliper to the front of the axle and provides clearance for the shocks on the 67-77 rear axle. e-brake cable points rearward.

Factory Explorer Right hand brake cable pointing to the rear of the car, does a 180, and attaches to the early bronco factory brake location. Add a second Explorer right hand brake cable to the opposite side. (so yeah...two factory Right hand cables from a 2000 Explorer.) No special parts needed. The cable actually clips into the Bronco bracket, as if it were made for it. Tons of room to drop. I should have done this years ago. Total cost was $30.00 at the pick-n-pull.

The EB equalizer works great, and fits the end ferrule of the Explorer. The adjusting rod from the lever to the equalizer was 3.5 inches too short, so I stretched it. If and when I install the handbrake, I think the TJ stuff will work. I was going to wait to post pics after I re-install my gas tank, but here you go.

Attachments

• 7C52BB49-C671-4F27-A729-437104933D47.jpeg
    7C52BB49-C671-4F27-A729-437104933D47.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 107
  • A344372C-5603-4BFC-A182-EB87F4CA1185.jpeg
    A344372C-5603-4BFC-A182-EB87F4CA1185.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 101
  • B12F22DE-E4B6-44DA-8880-C9D21EF9411D.jpeg
    B12F22DE-E4B6-44DA-8880-C9D21EF9411D.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 93
  • 9AFDF38D-1E84-4A9B-9CFF-99D45426BF7D.jpeg
    9AFDF38D-1E84-4A9B-9CFF-99D45426BF7D.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 6D0C7B63-64F7-40C8-B8AC-D25DB5DEBB2D.jpeg
    6D0C7B63-64F7-40C8-B8AC-D25DB5DEBB2D.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 3F4441F5-2AD3-4AFE-AF6F-D6B1DED98E1F.jpeg
    3F4441F5-2AD3-4AFE-AF6F-D6B1DED98E1F.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 112

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Coming along nicely! Looks like it should work just fine. If you end up using those Black Magic pieces, I'd like to see how they are incorporated.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX

Explorer disc brake caliper mounts installed backwards. Left side on the right, right side on the left. This moves the caliper to the front of the axle and provides clearance for the shocks on the 67-77 rear axle. e-brake cable points rearward.

Factory Explorer Right hand brake cable pointing to the rear of the car, does a 180, and attaches to the early bronco factory brake location. Add a second Explorer right hand brake cable to the opposite side. (so yeah...two factory Right hand cables from a 2000 Explorer.) No special parts needed. The cable actually clips into the Bronco bracket, as if it were made for it. Tons of room to drop. I should have done this years ago. Total cost was $30.00 at the pick-n-pull.

The EB equalizer works great, and fits the end ferrule of the Explorer. The adjusting rod from the lever to the equalizer was 3.5 inches too short, so I stretched it. If and when I install the handbrake, I think the TJ stuff will work. I was going to wait to post pics after I re-install my gas tank, but here you go.
Wow. Whoda thunk it?

67mustang390

These were mounted right to the 9 inch? for real? I just got a 2000 explorer. I can convert my big bearing 9 inch (76) to rear disc?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interested to see what James was installing it on. Because I don’t think it’s a straight bolt on for a 76 big bearing model.
Then again, it may only be the hole sizes need to be re-drilled or something simple like that. However, I think it’s not quite that straightforward.
We will see…

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
These were mounted right to the 9 inch? for real? I just got a 2000 explorer. I can convert my big bearing 9 inch (76) to rear disc?
As @DirtDonk has said...the answer should be interesting.

Your 76 big bearing housing end is not compatible with the Explorer pattern. The explorer pattern is the same as the Torino big bearing ends, which some people call the "medium duty" big bearing housing. And yes, the bolts are 3/8 diameter, instead of the 1/2 inch bolts that you have. Both ends are nominal 3.15 diameter bearing.

Worse, the brake offset for the Explorer is 2.5 inch. Your brake offset is 2.36 inch. So you would need custom axles in order to have the disc brake hat land in the right place.

In my case, I had new custom 35 spline axles made...so I got to choose the brake offset. You will also need a spacer to fill in the excess thickness difference between the drum brake backplate thickness...and the disc brake caliper mount. It's about .200 inch...but don't quote me on that. Currie Enterprises used to service that spacer as a component, but last time I called them...they wouldn't sell them. (Wilwood sells an extended retainer that does the same job...but it isn't nearly thick enough.)

Because of all this, I just bought a USED wilwood big bearing big bolt 9 inch 2.36 disc brake kit in 5x5.5 lug pattern. I don't think I'm going to use it.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
James you just made my head hurt (even more). I used to know all that stuff by heart. That was almost 20 years ago. Now I had to look it up to remind myself, and it took me awhile to figure out where to start. In any case, clever on the reversed brake calipers!

FWIW pad material matters on the e-brake shoes (surprise). I replaced mine awhile back after too many years of abuse and was surprised at how much better the new ones worked. Now if only I could remember what the old and new ones were/are...

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
In my case, I had new custom 35 spline axles made...so I got to choose the brake offset. You will also need a spacer to fill in the excess thickness difference between the drum brake backplate thickness...and the disc brake caliper mount. It's about .200 inch...but don't quote me on that. Currie Enterprises used to service that spacer as a component, but last time I called them...they wouldn't sell them. (Wilwood sells an extended retainer that does the same job...but it isn't nearly thick enough.)
Currie recently added the extended retainer to their lineup as well to take the place of the previous retainer/ring combo. That's probably why they don't sell the rings separately anymore. As I noted in another thread recently, Currie has removed a lot of stuff from their website recently.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/late-model-large-bearing-axle-retainer-plates-explorer-brake

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Currie recently added the extended retainer to their lineup as well to take the place of the previous retainer/ring combo. That's probably why they don't sell the rings separately anymore. As I noted in another thread recently, Currie has removed a lot of stuff from their website recently.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/late-model-large-bearing-axle-retainer-plates-explorer-brake

Todd Z.
That looks good. And for $90, it better be.

Here's the big bearing Torino retainer on Summit from Wilwood. Don't buy it! The extension flange is way too shallow. I bought these, and machined an extension ring, and tack welded it in place to basically duplicate the Currie piece.

Attachments

• wilwoodplate.jpg
    wilwoodplate.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 11

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Interested to see what James was installing it on. Because I don’t think it’s a straight bolt on for a 76 big bearing model.
Then again, it may only be the hole sizes need to be re-drilled or something simple like that. However, I think it’s not quite that straightforward.
We will see…
Oh…the rear axle is a terrible example. I’m pretty sure it started as an International Harvester semi float 60, but I cut the ends off and narrowed it to Bronco width. Then I installed Torino ends.

67mustang390

As @DirtDonk has said...the answer should be interesting.

Your 76 big bearing housing end is not compatible with the Explorer pattern. The explorer pattern is the same as the Torino big bearing ends, which some people call the "medium duty" big bearing housing. And yes, the bolts are 3/8 diameter, instead of the 1/2 inch bolts that you have. Both ends are nominal 3.15 diameter bearing.

Worse, the brake offset for the Explorer is 2.5 inch. Your brake offset is 2.36 inch. So you would need custom axles in order to have the disc brake hat land in the right place.

Because of all this, I just bought a USED wilwood big bearing big bolt 9 inch 2.36 disc brake kit in 5x5.5 lug pattern. I don't think I'm going to use it.
why not use 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 wheel adapters and an 1/8 in spacer to solve both issues simply without opening this and that or redrilling the rotor?

wsager

That would work if using the 8.8 from the explorer. If keeping the 9”, the housing ends (where the bearing lives and the axle retainer bolts to) is the issue. Their spacing and depth is off for the explorer stuff. If you get custom axles, you could use the wheel adapter as indicated.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
why not use 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 wheel adapters and an 1/8 in spacer to solve both issues simply without opening this and that or redrilling the rotor?
I'm pretty sure that I never even got to the lug pattern. So you lost me. Since you have to build custom axles either way, you can have them patterned any way that you want.

I am talking solely about the rear end housing flange big bearing end. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• big_end.jpg
    big_end.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 5
  • offfset.jpg
    offfset.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 6
  • big_torino.jpg
    big_torino.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 5

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
That would work if using the 8.8 from the explorer. If keeping the 9”, the housing ends (where the bearing lives and the axle retainer bolts to) is the issue. Their spacing and depth is off for the explorer stuff. If you get custom axles, you could use the wheel adapter as indicated.
OK...I didn't know that installing an Explorer 8.8 was in the mix. So thanks for making that clear. If you are going to install an explorer 8.8 under an early bronco, then you have much bigger issues than I can help with.

(To take the legendary Ford 9 inch, the strongest, lightest, and universally agreed best rear axle ever put into a passenger car, and replace it with a c-clip 8.8 is beyond my ability to comprehend.)

It is worth re-iterating that there are 4 housing ends on the 9 inch, and 4 brake offsets.
1. 66-75 Big Bearing, big bolt. (1.86 inch offset)
2. 76-77 Big Bearing, big bolt. (2.36 inch offset)
3. 73-75 Big Bearing small bolt. (2.5 inch offset, "medium duty," "Torino")
4. 66-75 Small Bearing, small bolt. (2.2 inch, and nobody cares.)

If you happen to have type 3...the bolt spacing is exact match for the explorer pattern, the brake offset is an exact match for the explorer, but the retainer needs to accommodate the thicker disc brake caliper mount bracket. If you have any other type...then it is not.

Attachments

• brake_offset.jpg
    brake_offset.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: