• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quieter muffler

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Anybody have knowledge or an opinion about the quietest muffler that will not kill performance? Maybe that just isn't possible?

I currently have the SS magnaflow muffler and it sounds great around town, but for long distance driving it's just to noisy.

thanks Ben

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
When I replaced my pipes, I told the muffler shop I wanted the quietest muffler that would fit. It look like the original- round like a pipe. Not sure what the make is though.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Flowmaster 70 Series. Just put one on and it's very quiet.

Have heard the 70 series was very quiet.

Ben I was trying to accomplish the same thing a few years ago and assumed the flowmaster hushpower was what I needed, WRONG, I have no idea how they ever got hush in the name.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Find a quiet muffler and mount 2 in series.. Just an idea.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Late model hgher HP V8 SUV stock muffler.
I did a Durango V8 muffler into a stroked V8 Ranger for a sleeper.
Keep in mind that a quiet muffler will take away the sound (duh!) but that sound is a sense of power. So a quiet fast will feel slower then a loud fast even though it is just as fast.

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A while back Georgia state patrol had a few Mustangs that were quiet mufflers but sounded real good that had 5.0 engines. I would like to know what they were and try them on a bronco

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A while back Georgia state patrol had a few Mustangs that were quiet mufflers but sounded real good that had 5.0 engines. I would like to know what they were and try them on a bronco

Those were probably just stock exhaust systems.

Another hint for quieter exhaust, run full length pipe and exit out the side(s) behind the rear tire. Under the floor will drone. Out the side in front of the rear tires is too close to your ear. Straight out the back will fumagate you, and will be slightly louder then out the sides. Bends and length make it quieter, just make sure you use good bends.
While on the tips page, use the smallest diameter that doesn't choke it. oversize will allow more reverberation and that makes drone.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Thanks guys, looking at the magnaflow turbo XL and the hooker aero chamber too.
I was told by a VP of Magnaflow that the XL series is a bit louder than their regular oval mufflers.
Any turbo style muffler would probably give you the sound you are looking for.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Good info Ken75ranger, as I had been told it was quieter. The flowmaster 70 just might be the way to go, althought the video didn't tell me much. I don't beleive my rig at idle is any louder than the one in the video. I found a similar video, same rig at running the down a city street and it seemed to be very quiet.

Thanks everyone for the input, keep it coming as it will likely everyone and me.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Rod's Muffler in Union is the best place to go. They do awesome work and are performance oriented. Just tell them what you have and what you want and are trying to do. They have done any exhaust I have ever wanted or needed done. They will be able to tell you what sounds and does what, they have Flowmaster and Magnaflow but can probably get anything.

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
I'm running dual exhaust with Hooker aero chambers. They're not obnoxious but they're not exactly quite either. They definitely a make up a good portion of the overall noise, when on the highway.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks for the input RIbronco! Spareparts, I can always count on you! Thanks for the tip, because I would have been calling you or AWS for the good muffler guy.

My wife,daughter and I drove up to Hermann for the wurstfest saturday and it really wasn't bad, but I seem to recall driving from my old home to Fayetteville AR for a meeting and it was quit loud. Shoot maybe I am wasting my money? Course that wouldn't be the first time;)