• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

R&R 9" Third member / Locker install

bigjhoov

nobody
Good call. Yes, I've seen upwards of .016" backlash on used gears as well. While .019" is a litttle excessive, it's not terrible. The tips on the ring gear are still flat and not sharply pinted. I hear some of the Ultra4 and Desert cars are setting them up a little loose initially now to help deal with heat issues. Setting them up as a new set of gears was probably a good idea and shouldn't pose any issues.

ZOSO

30in lbs on pinion bearing preload is a bit too much. I'd be careful as those may lock up on you being so tight.

70_Steve

Old Guy
30in lbs on pinion bearing preload is a bit too much. I'd be careful as those may lock up on you being so tight.
I would have thought so too. But with the shims provided, it was either too loose or too tight. I ran into the same problem with mine when I set mine up a few years ago. But after 10K or more miles on mine, it's been fine.

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
nice write up and pics, I can almost smell the gear oil

do you think that extra bit of backlash could be part of the reason your u-joints were chewing up quickly?

Steve seems to think it was my yoke... it was a bit tore up. So he bought me a new yoke to try his theory. Here's some pictures of the new and old

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

The old yoke had a stepped shoulder that captured the ujoint cups wrong... the new yoke is tight and a wonderful piece of machining! :D I hope it helps!