• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Racer Project

68ford

Bronco Guru
theyre kinda a thing of the past yet worked real good.coilovers past them up with adjustability and weight. but those are much better than regular leafs for higher travel numbers. alot more progressive over greater distance. you just cant adjust them like dual rate coilover. that eb has a roller on the axle that the leaf rolls along. i think their are alot pf pics on rockyroads website. another problam with those is that is a pretty damn expensive custom leaf pack. but its class legal. i personally would run a bypass shock with it and get full benifit of both. if you dont want to spend that kind of money,i would run 64in toyota leafs and bypass shocks, toyota leafs from deaver cycle clean 18in . i agree about the fourlink being real cool, but there is alot to go into one and i couldnt calculate where to put all the link pivots,they do make a computer program for it, every little angle and angle are extremly critical.
biuld it like this
4linkkit-01.jpg

4linkkit-06.jpg

and race mdr and bitd.score wants big dollar sponsers and doesnt care about the little guy anymore in my opinion.

68ford

Bronco Guru
here some.
72Racer010601B.jpg

72Racer010601A.jpg

72racer615c.jpg

thing was cool, they killed it with the buble boy glass :'(

68ford

Bronco Guru
note the vertical mounted heim on top of the diff, BIG NO NO it should be 90degrees to that. on the fourlink thats the way you want it,but on a 3link it pushes from the side and want to drive the races out of the heim.

and the best advice i could give is keep it low to the ground!
paypal.php

;D
but seriously low and safe.
paypal.php

paypal.php

paypal.php

paypal.php

that silver eb is bad ass! run those front fenders i put a set on mine look awsome.

Last edited:

west texas kid

Loc.
Lubbock, Texas Tech
i love the desert racer version of quarter elliptic setup, we may run that on my buddies 8 truck.

you really only need 1.75 IMO for your cage, thats all we are usin in a fullsize 8 truck

and just heat the chromoly before you weld it and you will be ok, but be warned that DOM is better IMO cause it bends rather than breaks, and with a high speed rollover the possibility of cracks with the chromoly is evident.

if ya want more opinions on things let me know, ill be happy to give them

wes

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
thing was cool, they killed it with the buble boy glass

Here is that Yellow Truck today - it's a '72. That's the one I was talking about. Where's that little silver jewel from? Any more pics?

Those pics of the fourlink are great -- is that your truck?

68ford

Bronco Guru
speaking of class 8..............
paypal.php

paypal.php

paypal.php

paypal.php

paypal.php

biggest jump ive ever seen. and it was smooth,no bounce!

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
west texas kid said:
i love the desert racer version of quarter elliptic setup, we may run that on my buddies 8 truck.

you really only need 1.75 IMO for your cage, thats all we are usin in a fullsize 8 truck

and just heat the chromoly before you weld it and you will be ok, but be warned that DOM is better IMO cause it bends rather than breaks, and with a high speed rollover the possibility of cracks with the chromoly is evident.

wes
I'm definitely getting the message on using DOM rather than chromoly. Thanks. On size, SCORE rules state that an open cockpit vehicle from 3000-3999 lbs needs 2" x .120". I'm assuming the EB is considered open cockpit, and I'm definitely planning to stay well below the 4k lb range.

68ford

Bronco Guru
coachbarnes said:
Here is that Yellow Truck today - it's a '72. That's the one I was talking about. Where's that little silver jewel from? Any more pics?

linked some day but not yet, bolt on leafs and double bypass'
it works really good,i just want more ;D
showphoto.php

attachment.php

that ranger is this guy rusty's from san diego area. things cool,has 550hp 347 in it, hauls ass with 30in of travel. ;D

68ford

Bronco Guru
mdr and moore races are really good too,you should look into them, they have street legal prerunner class, it good has mostly semi built trucks like rangers and toyotas.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
west texas kid said:

wes

Not trying to step on yer toes here, but heating the tubing before does nothing. After the cage is welded, the welded area needs to be heated with a "rosebud" and allowed to cool in a much slower fashion than natural. this allows the steel to remain uniform in its temper. (I think thats how it works) ;D
I do agree with running bypass shocks. double or tripple. If you goto the broncoholics site you can find a thread on four linked units. It is mentioned that the location of EVERY contact point is crucial. I would figure this to be too much a pain in the arse. I keep seeing pics of hi-dollar trucks and forget you are racing in class 3...keep it simple or a class 11 will kick your butt. If you get 18 inches of travel you might get your self in more trouble than without it. Too much confidence and speed could be scary in a 92" wheelbase vehicle.

More thoughts from the peanut gallery
Alan

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
broncow72 said:
I keep seeing pics of hi-dollar trucks and forget you are racing in class 3...keep it simple or a class 11 will kick your butt. If you get 18 inches of travel you might get your self in more trouble than without it. Too much confidence and speed could be scary in a 92" wheelbase vehicle.

More thoughts from the peanut gallery
Alan
You are a gem! Thanks.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
broncow72 said:
I also was curious if you could run a 351W as apposed to the 347. durability would be better with the 351 and cooling might also be better, not to mention the torque. Cooling might be an issue for the 500. Isn't that one done in june? F@#%ing hot down there at that time of year.

Yes, you can run a 351W. The silver Cervantes Bronco in 68ford's links below runs one.

Todd Z.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
toddz69 said:
Yes, you can run a 351W. The silver Cervantes Bronco in 68ford's links below runs one.

Todd Z.

Thanks Mr. Z. Haven't heard from Mike in forever, hows he doing? He wasn't affected by the latest fires was he?

Alan

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
broncow72 said:
Thanks Mr. Z. Haven't heard from Mike in forever, hows he doing? He wasn't affected by the latest fires was he?

Alan

Doing well-busy as always. Thankfully, he's not affected by the fires. His old house was close, but the new one isn't. I'll tell him you said hello.

Todd Z.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I agree,to much travel will get you in touble, i have just under 13 front and rear,and it exceeds the wheelbase easily, and unless your on flat ground your motor will exceed the suspension too.
the problem i feel with our short rear springs is to get 13in from them your going to have to let them almost spread appart at droop and compress to almost flat. i think if you could run a longer spring capable of more travel but limit it and set bumpstops before they are flat, it would work better and the spring would naturally last longer. deaver makes a prerunner pake for ford rangers that might work good too, about 10in longer and has more arch,but it would nt be to high at ride height because its softer for a ranger? just a thought.
build 347 short rod(no oil burner) and use alloy heads. save front end weight.
i run 302 with iron heads and i bend motor mount downward on hard landings, and it never feels hard. i dont think cooling will be an issue,the engine compartment will stay cool without inner fenderwells,which i beleive is most everyones problem. i was down in ocotillo and it was 110 out and i ran about 190,usually i run right at 180, just dont slow down ;)

68ford

Bronco Guru
just food for thought,you might break 4000lbs,lots of fuel and 2 spares,lots of tubing and almost complete steal body.that green truck i posted is all thin fiberglass,granted it is a full size and big,but it weighs over 6000lbs.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
coachbarnes said:

i don't think that's the same truck, shaun built several pre runner broncos.

68ford

Bronco Guru
73stallion said:
i don't think that's the same truck, shaun built several pre runner broncos.
that pic he posted is the same yellow one, they bought that one bwith rear allready built, the ones theyve built are coilover rears. there used to be a video of that thing filmed from the side driving next to them on a dirt road. the rear looked really good, better than the front coilover setup,but it does cycle half again more travel.