• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator Advice

redvettemike

Contributor
We need to buy a radiator for the '77 that we are working on. The PO smushed about 80% of the fins on the old radiator and it is not to be trusted so I have to buy something new. This vehicle will never see any rough use, no mud no rocks. It WILL have a a/c and will need to run cool in our hotter-than-Hades summers. Engine will be stock 302. What are some suggestions? I am trying to avoid having to pay $400 plus but may be forced to. I see references to Champion and Davis. Others? Can you buy radiators from an outfit such as O'Reilly's? Thanks for any direction on this.
Mike

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Doesn't have your location but contact a local radiator shop and buy a stock radiator for a '77 EB. If their on-hand stock is large they might have one on a shelf. Also any local auto parts store should also have access to one.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If it were me buying for my rig I would buy BC Bronco's triple pass Radiator. I want a radiator I can fix and I know that works. When my Staggered 4 core finally becomes unfix-able that will be my next one. I'm old school aluminium is just a repair waiting to happen that I cant fix. Now if your planning to get rid of it in the next 10 years then aluminium may be an option. But you better be good at mounting it so it doesn't destroy itself.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Here in Tucson the summers aren't hotter then Hades, but I have seen 117. The fix for my '77 was a high density core. The tanks are still the OE parts. The BC heavy duty radiator has the same core. I tried an aluminum version, but it wasn't nearly as effective and didn't look original like the high density core. The in the tank auto trans cooler works fine by itself.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I bought a new aluminum one from Tom's and it fit like a glove in the stock location,got it on sale for $279,haven't used it yet cuz I'm still in the last phase of my build,but hopefully it will be fine with a completely new cooling system,t-stat,core,extra large blower motor,water pump,hoses etc,etc.Good Luck :cool:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If your tanks are good, you can have the core replaced. I'd trust a radiator shop in Hades.;) A radiator shop would have to do good work in a hot place or they wouldn't be in business for long. I've had several negative experiences buying complete radiators. They didn't hold up or do the job. The high density core that Jckkys was referring to is the best you can get in a brass/copper radiator. It's not cheap, but it will do the job. I have one called an "X core". The quality is obvious when you pick it up. My three core weighs a lot more than the four core I pulled out.

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Bought my Champion aluminum off of eBay for 175.00, direct fit, 2 rows of 1 inch tubes. I used the "four" row rubber insulators.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I did the 94 Explorer radiator swap. Cost me less than $100 including the used shroud, new hoses, and a brand new radiator. I get a good discount on parts but for $130 or so and a couple hours will get you a new radiator that you can get at most auto parts stores. I bought mine from the radiator shop our bodyshop uses because of the discount I got.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 91

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
I did the 94 Explorer radiator swap. Cost me less than $100 including the used shroud, new hoses, and a brand new radiator. I get a good discount on parts but for $130 or so and a couple hours will get you a new radiator that you can get at most auto parts stores. I bought mine from the radiator shop our bodyshop uses because of the discount I got.
(Slight hijack) Alan, any chance you've got pictures of the lower mounts. Thinking about going that route myself.

Joe473

Not sure where u are jersey summers only hit 95 -100. I picked up a three core stock copper from an online supplier. About $285. Stock 302 2bbl with new 190 stat and water pump. Stock fan and stock shroud runs below 200 in traffic and gauge drops to 185 going down highway on the hottest days this summer.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
(Slight hijack) Alan, any chance you've got pictures of the lower mounts. Thinking about going that route myself.

This is the drivers side. The radiator has pegs that set in an oval rubber gromet. I cut the "stock" mounts off my aftermarket core support. I made my own "L" braket and welded them on. I made it so the fan set perfectly centered in the shroud. I have a 3" body lift so the mount sets lower on the core support. I was also able to use the stock 2000 5.0 upper and lower radiator hoses probably because how low it sets in the core support. Others have had to modify their hoses some. Do a search for Ransil 4.0 explorer radiator. He was the one to turn me onto the swap.
Let me know if you need any more pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 79

ransil

Bronco Guru
for a stock replacement radiator shop local, o'rileys, advance auto zone. most can get it in a day or 2 last check the cost was about $200. dont forget to find a coupon code

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
Have any of you folks tried the Wild Horse #5010, Staggered 4 Core? Any opinions on that radiator?
Tks.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I have the same champion mentioned above.... Think I paid 150 for ......never had a problem with it....have had it in for several years....I did take out the drain valve at the bottom and put an anode in its place

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 39

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Sorry iPad only lets me do one photo at a time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 39

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I only had to notch out the upper pass. Side mount on the rad like .25 inch if that.....fit great plus have electric fan strapped to the front of it

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
I have the same champion mentioned above.... Think I paid 150 for ......never had a problem with it....have had it in for several years....I did take out the drain valve at the bottom and put an anode in its place

So that WH radiator is a Champion? Are all Champions aluminum? Tks.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
No the champion is not the same one WH sells..... WH sells Ron Davis alum. Rads..... And yes all champion I know of are all alum.

armynavy17

Contributor
I've been really happy with JBG's stock 3 core copper brass. Not the cheapest but certainly not $400!