• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator Puke Tank

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A full bracket is probably more rigid, but even simple stand-offs will work if you utilize all points of contact.
You definitely want to push the tank outward from the fender skirt a bit so it's not so far under the fender's top lip. Looks like that bracket design does the job.

Paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Gotta love paper, Picture from Tom's Catalog shows what is involved in making a bracket.

View attachment 895681
Old school catalogs for the win!! I am looking for a particular part that Tom's shows in their catalog but doesn't show on their website. Been bugging Garrett about it and hopefully it'll be back in stock at some point.

Todd Z.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Todd, Go easy on Garrett, or he may quit printing catalogs.

Paul, 70, 350/350hp, 4sp-close ratio. I think 70 was last year for chrome bumpers.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. I always get 70 and 71 mixed up anyway, thinking that 70 still had the vertical side vents like the 68 and 69.
I remember first seeing that style of crisscross that at the auto-crosses back then and thinking they were new for 71.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
A full bracket is probably more rigid, but even simple stand-offs will work if you utilize all points of contact.
You definitely want to push the tank outward from the fender skirt a bit so it's not so far under the fender's top lip. Looks like that bracket design does the job.

Paul
I didn't use a bracket and as Paul stated I used simple stand-offs to clear the fender for opening the fill caps. It is a simple install and works great.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I didn't use a bracket and as Paul stated I used simple stand-offs to clear the fender for opening the fill caps. It is a simple install and works great.

experience and trial/error or key Always gonna be something

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Paul

true true..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well thanks @Oldtimer

I'm pretty sure that I can fab a bracket that looks like that. And thanks to @toddz69 for the reference to Toms's. Because that got me to their reservior page, and that got me to see the listing for the TWO different bottles used. So we get one colored bag in 66, then another colored bag in 67. Then the Mustang sloped bottle from 68 to 70. Then we get the 71-77 Bronco bottle with the vertical lower mount that requires a special dimple in the inner wheel house.

Which is why my 71+ windshield washer reservoir won't fit my 70 apron. And why most of the aftermarket wheelhouses are built wrong. Because there is a 66-70 with no dimple, a 71-73 with dimple, and then a 74-75 with PS shaft relief and dimple, and the 76-77 with the relief, dimple, and dent for the booster.

So watch out when you buy a 66-75 inner fender!

there's always gonna be something Just learn as you go

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
there's always gonna be something Just learn as you go
Yeah! What I learned is that if you use this washer bottle combo, you can't access your jack handle or lug wrench on a 70 Bronco.
So then I learned how to process a return.
And then I learned how to order a standard reservoir from Wild H.
Then I learned I still need a puke tank.

Ugh. This learning stuff is over-rated.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah! What I learned is that if you use this washer bottle combo, you can't access your jack handle or lug wrench on a 70 Bronco.

LOL, right

Lawndart

Loc.

This was one of the reasons, I did what I did.
Also, I have dual horns and did not want to relocate.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/radiator-puke-tank.318544/post-3472896

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Looking at a few options online. Is there a recommended volume for the puke tank? As in too small or too large to work effectively?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Looking at a few options online. Is there a recommended volume for the puke tank? As in too small or too large to work effectively?
This is what I use. So all you need is a 5th as far as tank volume

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ve always said to at least match the 73 to 77 factory one in size. But I’ve never actually gone to the trouble of measuring one, so can’t say how much it holds.🙄

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

I’ve always said to at least match the 73 to 77 factory one in size. But I’ve never actually gone to the trouble of measuring one, so can’t say how much it holds.🙄
Thanks I have a factory style sitting around somewhere to figure out how much it holds