• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator question

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I have a warmed over 351W (street driven) and I'm able to run just an electric fan BUT in the summer it runs noticeably warmer when in slow traffic and waiting on redlights. It doesn't overheat but can pop 220 or just over on a hot day and lots of traffic. Makes me keep an eye on it sitting at a light. Start rolling it cools right back down. I run an American Eagle radiator 2-row 1 inch tubes and is supposed to cool 600HP

In the winter (it's not that cold here in AR) it runs 200-210.

I guess my point is, it's all about airflow.....My combination seems to be right on the edge of being cool with an electric. I run the fan WH sells. I'm told the Taurus and Volvo fans move more air but you have to hack them up to get them in.

Tim

Montoya

"As far as how it runs, at idle, it’s kinda like a horse at gallop/“dahdun-dun, dahdub-dun” under power, it spoils quickly, with a hint of a stutter when DUMPED more throttle... so much so you can drift all 4 tires without much effort. So,overall RUNS well and power and it’s delivery seems fine(& is my only doubt on tune being the culprit for heat).

The stumbles when floored could be ignition and/or carburetor tuning. Sounds like it has power, but maybe could use some fine-tuning still. And yes, that could easily lead to cooler running.
Unfortunately it's never a guarantee, but it's an important first step in ruling stuff out.
Yours may end up like so many, that just never get theirs to run cool. But you won't know until you eliminate all the potential sources."

I think DirtDonk nailed it.

This sounds like a timing and fuel issue. My guess is you're running lean and slightly advanced. Lean = mean but it also adds a ton of heat. The stumbles sound like your tip-in could be lean also and your jets need to be changed to larger but I would investigate that carb further.

I know you said you weren't sure on the carb but anything less than a 650 on a built 351W could be your main culprit. There is no way you will be making 600hp on that carb and even a ported 650 will be stretched at that power level. The issue is, even if you open up the jets to max, the motor draws so much air (especially with a roller cam) that a small carb simply can't keep up. It'll be fine at idle, or even driving at part throttle but quick throttle inputs will result in stumbles. The old hot rodder formula is: VE = (displacement x rpm)/3,456

If you're running a 351 at 6000RPM you need a minimum of 609CFM. This doesn't take into consideration your aggressive cam however and overlap can result in much more carb flow required.

I'm running a similar setup to you with a bored and stroked 351W (now 427ci) with high compression, edelbrock performer heads, ZF trans, dual plane intake manifold (also something to consider on your tuning issues), and a 180 thermostat. I run the stock radiator, no shroud, no mechanical fan but two electric SPAL pullers (only one runs until I hit a threshold temperature and then the other kicks on), and a high flow water pump. The stock radiator is the original from 1969 and keeps on trucking without a single overheat problem and I run in the deserts around Los Angeles.

Now is when I try to sell you on switching to fuel injection and be rid of all these issues but that's for another time. ;D

Basically, your radiator sounds fine but your tune is off.

Jon

Last edited:

mustanggarage

Contributor
it sounds like you can keep it cool if you use both fans, but you don't want to run both is that correct? if you have an electric fan set up as a pusher and it is not running it will impede airflow. if you decide to try to just run the mechanical possibly getting the electric out of the way will allow it to run cool enough. I'm new to Broncos but it sounds like from the things others have said that just running the electric may not be an option so maybe you will want to just run the mechanical. or you could hook the electric up to a temperature probe so it turns on when it reaches certain temps.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice.
But you have to make sure to check the length of the drive system as stated by the manufacturer. It already looks too long for a Bronco. Much less leaving room for a big electric fan!

This lack of space, more than any money issue is the reason that most of us recommend the Explorer front drive system over literally everything else on the market.
Most aftermarket setups don't base their design on being compact. And that's what Broncos need more than just about anything else.

Paul

Jason72Bronco

I'd double-say you should follow Paul's advice.

Make sure your system is clear of any gunk and rust that may have formed while it sat. I used Blue Devil cooling system flush on a new project truck recently that had been sitting for a decade. You wouldn't believe the junk that came out, and how dark it was. (And the coolant actually didn't look that bad before the flush....that's how well it worked.) It took three rinses with water to get clear. Easy to do and it may be a $10 + time fix. Heck, I'd do it anyway if it sat that long. (When is the last time it had new proper coolant mix?) Preventative maintenance pays dividends on old trucks.

Also, as Paul said, I would double-check your mechanical fan and shroud situation. There are some crappy aftermarket fans out there--all show, no go. And many folks do not realize how critical a proper shroud is to proper cooling. If yours is "modified", I'd probably question that.

You said your mechanical fan almost did fine except in traffic....it may be that your electrical fan is causing more harm than good by actually restricting proper airflow. The mechanical should do fine if it and the shroud are correct. The electric fan may just be adding air resistance and amp load.

Finally, more details on just how hot (temperature) you are getting will help with answers. Are you just relying upon the dash gauge? Are you boiling over? Is the car dying from the overheating? Etc.