• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radius Arm Nut Stuck....

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I am trying to get the castle nut off the back of the raidus arm off and the sucker is froze up. Before I called it a night, the neighbor came over & told me to put some heat on it. Not real excited about doing that, but if I must... Before it wasn't a must to get it off, now it is. Any other ideas? I have used a breaker, impact, soaked in WD-40 for a few days & still no budging. :mad:

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I am trying to get the castle nut off the back of the raidus arm off and the sucker is froze up. Before I called it a night, the neighbor came over & told me to put some heat on it. Not real excited about doing that, but if I must... Before it wasn't a must to get it off, now it is. Any other ideas? I have used a breaker, impact, soaked in WD-40 for a few days & still no budging. :mad:

heat is fine. Heat the nut only, work your way around it and get it nice and warm. You might have to heat and cool it a few times. If its that froze up, you might even hear it break loose when it does. Other option is to cut it in a couple pieces and then bust it off, which might need heat as well..

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Check the Pin first. You might want to soak it in PB Blaster (works pretty good). Heat is usually the only thing that will get it if its that stuck. If you do try to cut it off with a grinder, be sure not to go too deep into the threads on the radius arms, Cut it deeply in two or three spots stopping just before you would cut into the threads. Then take a chisel and a hammer to the cut spots, it will come off.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I put a 1/2 in rachet on it and used the handle from my floor jack for extra leverage. I thought the Bronco was going to roll over, but it eventually broke loose. Yours can't be any more rusty than mine was.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've had to use a breaker bar with a 4' pipe to get them off before. don't be surprised if you break something, just don't break yourself.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
if not , take a die grinder and start cutting slots in it , front to rear , it will pop .

OP
OP
Sbolt19

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Pin is completely removed, I had to double check that one myself. I couldn't remember if I pulled it or not. I think I will try heat next. Tried a 4' pipe over a breaker but I couldn't get a good enough pull on it. Just one of those things that once you get going, it pisses ya off when you can't keep going.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Yours sounds about like how mine were. Heat is your friend. Lots of it and be prepared for that lovely burnt rubber smell. Seeing that the nuts are that tight, its probably time to replace those bushings anyway.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
The really stuck ones I heat, then quench with PPB blaster. If that doesn't work I try it heating it again and take it off hot.

purple72

Loc.
Wilkinson,IN
Use BreakFree CLP. Soak it for a couple of days. It will come loose. You can get it at moster finer Wal Marts.

Fordfilly

Loc.
Ford Part Heaven
Everytime we have a bolt that won't come off.......especially exhaust manifolds........we rely on the heating method! Works everytime with the exception of breaking them off flush (ouch!).

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
an impact might be a god Idea, do you have an aux tank? I take it you don't care about the bushing, if you answered no, torch away.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Sometimes I have trouble getting my nuts off...

My trick, was to buy a new impact, i had no idea how wore out my old one was until i broke down and got a new one. Lots of heat, hit it with the impact of breaker bar while warm, if nothing, heat again and quench with penetrating oil. Repeat until it loosens or you burn yourself and get pissed for the night.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Yours sounds about like how mine were. Heat is your friend. Lots of it and be prepared for that lovely burnt rubber smell. Seeing that the nuts are that tight, its probably time to replace those bushings anyway.

I used a wood chisel to remove the rubber bushing so I didn't have to smell the thing burning. That small chisel came in pretty handy getting the body mount off also (that was a whole weekend project with the rust my truck had).

Good Luck and be careful.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Impact :) If you have trouble getting the impact on, pull your coil spring so the radius arm will tuck up straight along the frame... When all else fails use the gas axe.. :) I like to use it myself :)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Air hammer, use cold chisel attatchment.

I farted around for 2 hours on the last one I tore down, was done in about 1 minute with the chisel. No damage to the threads on the arm at all. The nut will just split, and if you do it right, fall right off (cuts need to be 180* from one another, else you make a 3rd cut)

I bought my air hammer a year or two ago, and have no idea how I made it so long without one. What a godsend.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Did you try to thighten the nut first to free it up?
Before anything else try this first...

Place a few drops of oil into the hose of your pneumatic impact wrench, It will provide you with a little whole lot more punch...

Wire brush the threads clean and soak with penetrating oil.. Set up your breaker so that you use your hydraulic jack under it and pump away. Be very careful doing this...

If all else fails === Blue tip wrench and sacrifice the rubber bushings...