• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RARE! Any info on Early Bronco "Pony Interior PKG"?

grinder1717

RARE! Any info on Early Bronco "Pony Interior PKG"? I have a 1966 Ford Bronco with some great options. One was a dealer installed "Pony Interior". I talked to Toms and Bigsky Broncos and both said it was a dealer installed option but they have olny heard of a few. Does anybody have any other info on this? Thanks. You can contact me at jblgibson@comcast.net

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How do your seats compare to the '66 Mustang optional Pony seats? could that be where the option for the EB came from? Working only from memory, I recall that the 65/66 mustang sets were awfully similar to the ones used in our EBs.

OP
OP
G

grinder1717

RARE! Any info on Early Bronco "Pony Interior PKG"? Reply to Thread

I should have stated more info. I know all Bronco front seats were designed from early mustang seats but its the pattern of the vinal with the pony pattern I am talking about including the back jump seat. I guess these seats were not pulled from any early mustang. The front seats were you sit have kind of a wierd hooked ends not like anything I have ever seen;D from factory Mustangs or all Bronco seats. Thank you!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
The seats in my 65 f100 and my bronco are the same. I'm pretty sure they are just mustang seats with different seat brackets. It would be an easy job for some one to have put pone interior covers on the front seats. The rear however would be a custom job. Never heard of a pony interior option for a bronco but then again I did know you could get a backhoe attachment either until I saw an old ford option catalogue a few years ago.

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
I have personally seen 2 here in michigan with the pony interior(fronts and rear seat), Both are also 66's. I believe you could get them like that from the factory, the problem is there is nothing anywhere on paper that supports that. One I looked at 8 years ago was for sale by the original owner, and he swore he ordered it with the pony interior. Really looked good in the bronco too;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I should have stated more info. I know all Bronco front seats were designed from early mustang seats but its the pattern of the vinal with the pony pattern I am talking about including the back jump seat. !

That is what I what I was talking about too..I had a '66 Mustanfg with the pony interior option.That was why I wondered if the upholstery in yr '66 EB was the same exact pattern vinyl 'insert' with the horsies and was adapted from the Mustang option.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
The bronco hut in col. told me that the foam is thicker on the bronco buckets ,may have a hard time getting mustang pony uph. to fit use new mustang seat foam

OP
OP
G

grinder1717

Thanks all for the quick responses and keep them comming! Now the kicker I might sell

Thanks all for the quick responses and keep them comming! Now the kicker I might sell the Bronco. Does this make it more valuable because of the pkg? Its a 1966 V-8 uncut stocker. Has 100k but 25k from towing. Needs floor pans, inner fender skirts other than that its a nice truck. Thanks again you guys.

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
I think most of the 66 nuts will tell you it don't add to the value in there opinion, because there is no documentaion on it ever being a option. Now if it could be proven otherwise it would add some value.

OP
OP
G

grinder1717

Let me get this straight. There has been others seen at shows so there is documentation that this is not the only one and has to be an option at one time. Right or wrong. Thanks

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
No I have seen 2 personally and know of other in TN and CO all 66's. But there is no paper work from Ford or the Dealers that show this was offered from the factory or dealer. I think there is a real good chance they came from the factory like this, but its really hard to prove. Some speculate there was a company in CA in the 70's and 80's that was making pony interiors for the broncos. Why only 66's have been found with it I don't know. I do know that the Mustang pony seats front seat upholstry would work with the 66 and 67 seats, But the back seat would have to be custom made. There are a few guys on this site who have pictures of some some of the pony interior I seen. eaglesnest66 and Blue71 I believe have some pics of them. There was one at broncorama 2007 that had the pony interior that I saw, and about 8 years before that I saw a parts bronco in northern MI that had it. Both appeared to be original to the broncos. Im just saying that some of the 66 guys I talk with will not believe it was a option unless there is documentaion that it exsisted. send me some pics of the bronco thebroncoranch@yahoo.com

Thanks Tom

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
One thing to note is the mustang seat foam is different from standard to pony interior. if you take a standard mustang seat and want to make it a pont seat you have to use the seat foam designed for the pont seat covers. Not sure if this would hold true on an EB but on a mustang it's not a simple swap of seat covers.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it was a factory option (Installed by FORD), it would probably have a different trim code on the data plate. If it doesn't have that or has a standard code on the VIN plate I'd have to go with the thinking that it was a dealer accessory, or dealer aftermarket part. And installed after the dealer took delivery. Additionally, it seems scarce enough it would have to be special ordered if it WAS a Ford factory installed piece and have the 6-digit DSO. Anyone grab the numbers off the data plates of these known trucks? Heck, just one trucks numbers would tell you alot....especially if it has standard trim code and 2 digit DSO.

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a guy call me looking to sell a '66 with "Pony Interior". He's the original owner.......... He also said it was the first one delivered to Minnesota...

I always thought he was full of it........... maybe I'll have to go check it out after all %)

66Bronco

I had a guy call me looking to sell a '66 with "Pony Interior". He's the original owner.......... He also said it was the first one delivered to Minnesota...

I always thought he was full of it........... maybe I'll have to go check it out after all %)

It would be interesting to find out from the original owner what the story behind the Pony covers is. None of my original Ford Bronco 1966 lists this as an option. Not even the '66 Bronco order form. I suspect this was a dealer installed option.

I too found a '66 Bronco with the Pony seats but unfortunately the VIN tag was missing. I would be curious what the VIN tag showed on this bronco.

-Terry

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
May have been a local dealer option. The rear seats section is just sewn into the Broncos upholstery. I have pony interior in my 67 halfcab. Brocno seats are identical to 68 Mustangs. Except for the welded mounting points. 65-69 lowback buckets share the same frames as EB's. WIth the upholstery you replace the stock foam as mentioned earlier. You have to also bend up a new retaining wire for the hog rings to attach. I think its one of the better choices available for stock seats. Another good alternative upholstery is from the 67 Mustang standard or deluxe interiors. The Parchment colors are different for 65 and 66 Mustangs. Either are nice looking for a stock look until someone notices something isnt exactly original. Most people have no clue what was or wasnt original on older cars anymore.