• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Re-gear and stock 3 speed

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
After reading many threads, I have decided that at some point in the next couple years I will be installing the NV3550 trans. I will be running 33's and Most likely 4.56 gears to take advantage of the NV's overdrive.
My question is:
What should I expect from the combo of the stock 3 speed and 4.56 gears if I move forward with the gear swap sooner rather than later? I have a newly rebuilt 302 with moderately upgraded cam.
Thanks in advance for any input

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which can be a lot of fun and won't hurt the engine at all.
Unless you like driving at 80 much of the time, the higher rpm of the 60 to 70 mph range shouldn't cause too much stress to your ears.

Exhaust has a LOT to do with how your engine "feels" (sounds) at high freeway speeds.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then again, I should have asked what size tires you're running now first.
So what are you running?;D

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You're gonna be thrilled after the gear swap, and even more when you get that NV3550 installed.

After I regeared, I sort of regretted the motor mods I had done. It would have had plenty of power with the 2 barrel and stock cam.

It's amazing how bigger tires with the wrong gearing can ruin your performance.