• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear brake caliper ID HELP

amfw

I have one thing left before I can pass inspection here in MA and it is restoring function to my parking brake. Bronco came with 4 wheel disc conversion installed, but I don't know what they are. I switched out the front pads successfully last year and so I have a good ID on those. I THOUGHT the rear were Cadillac El Dorado, but I got the D122 pads as suggested, but they are too large compared to both the caliper and the old pads. I'd spring for new calipers at this point just to get it all done. I've got some pics of the old and new pads as well as the caliper. Any help info advice or ID is appreciated as always.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_130527.jpg
    IMG_20220523_130527.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220523_130521.jpg
    IMG_20220523_130521.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220523_124842.jpg
    IMG_20220523_124842.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 37

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well, they ARE Cadillac Eldorado caliper pads, but they're for different Eldorado calipers.... The pads you have are for the 76-78 Eldorado calipers, which are physically larger than the ones you have, which are the 79-85 Eldorado calipers (they are also found on other GM cars but the Eldorado is the most common application). The 76-78 Eldorados were big cars which were downsized for '79, hence the smaller calipers. The smaller calipers that you have use the D154 pads, or the equivalent with the nub on them for the parking brake pistons. Look up the 79-85 cars and you should find the right pad PN for yours.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Well, they ARE Cadillac Eldorado caliper pads, but they're for different Eldorado calipers.... The pads you have are for the 76-78 Eldorado calipers, which are physically larger than the ones you have, which are the 79-85 Eldorado calipers (they are also found on other GM cars but the Eldorado is the most common application). The 76-78 Eldorados were big cars which were downsized for '79, hence the smaller calipers. The smaller calipers that you have use the D154 pads, or the equivalent with the nub on them for the parking brake pistons. Look up the 79-85 cars and you should find the right pad PN for yours.

Todd Z.
Thanks Todd, you were very helpful on my previous and slightly redundant post on this topic. I asked for some help on my local facebook page and they also came up with d154 which look like a match for what I pulled. Im hoping to pick those up in the morning and get them installed, though now I am wondering if I shouldnt just buy new calipers to match the bigger Eldorado Pads since mine are pretty crusty anyway....

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
though now I am wondering if I shouldnt just buy new calipers to match the bigger Eldorado Pads since mine are pretty crusty anyway....
I wouldn't go down that route. You'll need new brackets for the other calipers and I'm not sure they are offered for the Bronco 9" rear ends. The calipers are really too big for our rear ends from a brake balance standpoint and they're also a lot less common than the D154 calipers you have.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I wouldn't go down that route. You'll need new brackets for the other calipers and I'm not sure they are offered for the Bronco 9" rear ends. The calipers are really too big for our rear ends from a brake balance standpoint and they're also a lot less common than the D154 calipers you have.

Todd Z.
Thanks for all your help. I got the right pads this morning and am back at it again today. Im struggling with getting the piston compressed now. at first I just tried to go at it with a C clamp, but that didn't work. Then I grabbed one of those tools that rotates the piston while it compresses it but I can't get it to turn. I'd love to work on this more tomorrow but I seriously have no idea what to do. Can you confirm I need to use that tool to compress the piston? Eldorado is named in the tool instruction manual. Is it possible they are so crusty they would slide in and out but not turn? I have seen them move when depressing the brake pedal so I don't think they are seized up or anything.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Thanks for all your help. I got the right pads this morning and am back at it again today. Im struggling with getting the piston compressed now. at first I just tried to go at it with a C clamp, but that didn't work. Then I grabbed one of those tools that rotates the piston while it compresses it but I can't get it to turn. I'd love to work on this more tomorrow but I seriously have no idea what to do. Can you confirm I need to use that tool to compress the piston? Eldorado is named in the tool instruction manual. Is it possible they are so crusty they would slide in and out but not turn? I have seen them move when depressing the brake pedal so I don't think they are seized up or anything.
Crack the bleeder before trying to compress the piston.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

it'll always be something.. you got this

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of these have very specialized adjusting methods and procedures. You need to check into your specific caliper and look for some adjustment instructions. Don’t just try to compress it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Some of these have very specialized adjusting methods and procedures. You need to check into your specific caliper and look for some adjustment instructions. Don’t just try to compress it.

yeah for sure.. searches on here for those who have gone thru same will help

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

yeah... I DID just try to compress it like I did on the fronts it at first, and then did some more reading and found out what you said. So I got the proper tool but still no luck.
Mine are pretty crusty as is, so I have ordered a new set that should be here tomorrow or Friday. I am going to use the time in between to take a deep breath, read, and get everything in order so hopefully it goes nice and smoothly on friday afternoon when I give this another crack.
If its not entirely obvious, this is my first time doing the brakes, so I am thankful for the advice and encouragement. I assume now would be a good time to flush the brake system as well? Any additional surprises I should be looking out for through all of the next steps?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
yeah... I DID just try to compress it like I did on the fronts it at first, and then did some more reading and found out what you said. So I got the proper tool but still no luck.
Mine are pretty crusty as is, so I have ordered a new set that should be here tomorrow or Friday. I am going to use the time in between to take a deep breath, read, and get everything in order so hopefully it goes nice and smoothly on friday afternoon when I give this another crack.
If its not entirely obvious, this is my first time doing the brakes, so I am thankful for the advice and encouragement. I assume now would be a good time to flush the brake system as well? Any additional surprises I should be looking out for through all of the next steps?

when in doubt for sure, may as well go new if you got the budget. Won't hurt to flush, fill w/new fluids while you at it chief..

Just keep a positive attitude..

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I ended up with new calipers, flexible line, and brake fluid. E brake is good now and everything else is happy. I'm glad to have this behind me. Took some test laps and had a terrible clunking in the rear and was freaking out. It was just my rear seat wasnt latched haha.